Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fourteen years ago

Charles’ birthday was 2 days ago.  Since 1999, and for the rest of his life, he hated his birthday. 

It was on that day that Dad called and told us that Cara had suffered heart failure and was in the hospital, not expected to live.

Norm and I rushed out to Rapid City; Charles and his son came very soon after.

I spent most of the rest of the time in the hospital, holding Cara’s hand.  She never regained consciousness and died 14 years ago this evening.

Cara was the 3rd child in our family - the middle child.  I was 4 years old when she was born and remember a lot of her childhood.  As with Charles, we spent a lot of time together because of Dad’s travel.  




Cara was gifted in many ways; she was a wonderful musician, playing piano, guitar and singing in a wonderful contralto voice.  When we were growing up, Mom had a book of the Gilbert and Sullivan music; Cara would play - Candy, Cara and I would sing the songs.  One of the ones we liked to sing was “Three Little Maids from School.”  Mostly because it was for 3 female singers!    





 
Cara graduated from college and became a teacher like I did.  Also like me, she didn’t stay in the teaching profession very long.  I quit to raise my girls.  Cara quit to go on to other fields of work.

She loved gardening; she and husband Davey had a large vegetable garden and a large flower garden that surrounded the house.

When we lost Cara, I lost a mentor, a counselor and a good friend as well as a sister.  Some people think you get “over” the pain of losing a loved one.  You don’t get “over,” you get “through.”  Although it’s been 14 years, today I feel like the loss is happening all over again.  I will never get over losing my sister.


 
Cara, I love you - I miss you.  I wish you were here!   

No comments: