Sunday, November 11, 2012

It’s Veterans’ Day


I have to mention this before the day is over.  Today is the honoring of veterans, both living and deceased.

The reason that today is THE day is because of World War I (One).  This was the "War to End all Wars."  Many people thought that after this war was over, there would be no more because of all the death and destruction that it had caused.

An armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918.  This is now considered the end of that war.

Unfortunately, there was a second World War!  And other wars followed!  In 1926, President Roosevelt signed in a resolution making the 11th of November a National holiday.  It has been held as such ever since.

Of course, if the holiday falls on a weekend, then you get a 3-day weekend.  However, (so far), the “powers-that-be” have not decided that this needs to be a permanent 3-day weekend.  Hopefully, the 11th is an honored enough date to protect it.

On this day, I want to thank all the men and women from the past and present who have given their all for our freedom.  This includes those from the Revolutionary War, who struggled to bring this great country into being.  And all the wars following, to protect America from those who want to take our freedom away.

I need to personally thank: my father, Charles L Childs I, retired Air Force, who fought in World War I (oops, II - TWO) and the Korean War; my brother, Charles L Childs II, Army - deceased, who fought in Vietnam; my husband, John Norman Peterson, former Army, who served during the Vietnam era; my brother-in-law, James Darrell Peterson, former Army, who fought during the Korean War; my brother-in-law, Wayne Taft, former Navy, who served during the Vietnam era.

I also have many cousins and friends who served and / or fought during these times.  I want to thank them, as well.

This is a time to think of our freedom, bought and paid for by the blood and sacrifice of many who were willing to step up and take blows for our sakes.

Thank you, everyone!  God Bless America and all who live and love here.

No comments: