Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Birthday, Beanie!


My youngest, my baby, was born on November 11th, 19**; age is avoided to protect the innocent .... ME!  If you knew how old my baby was, you’d know how ancient *I* am!

We were in Australia when Jill was born, which was an adventure in itself!  The hospital was very small and there were only about 6 to 8 mothers and babies at the time Jill and I were there.  We would walk down to the nursery and collect our babies in their little roll-cot, take them back to the rooms and feed them there, then take them back to the nursery.  If we were sleeping, tired or lazy, a nurse would bring the babies to us.

One day a nurse brought my baby and I was feeding her when I looked more closely and said “This isn’t MY baby!”  I got out of bed, put her in the cot and headed down to the nursery.  I met another mother heading that way, too.  She had the wrong baby, as well!  The nurse had not looked at the wrist band closely and had switched babies.  We have teased Jill sometimes about how she might not be ours, as the switch went the wrong way.  They looked very much the same ... dark hair, dark-ish complection.  But that baby was just NOT mine!

But trust me, even if the babies look almost identical, a Mom can know which one is hers!

Jill was about 3 months old when she got her nickname.  Norm kept calling her “Silly Jill” which morphed into “Silly Jilly,” then “Silly Jelly,” “Jelly Bean” and finally Jilly Bean.  So now she is “Jilly,” “Bean,” or “Beanie.”

Jill is, and always will be, my baby.  Mom’s know this .... no matter how old your child is, your youngest is always your baby! 

Norm and I are very proud of her.  She works for a checking writing company (you know the ones ... they figure out your taxes and write the checks you get from the company you work for).  She has worked there for almost 10 years (if I’m counting right).  She started on the low rung of the ladder and has climbed up quite a bit.  She isn’t a supervisor or boss, but she’s doing very well in the company.

I am sharing two pictures with you.  The first one was taken when she was about 5 — she got a brand new bike for her birthday.  As you can see, the training wheels are still on, but it didn’t take long before they were taken off.

The second was taken when she was about 10.

Happy Birthday, Baby!  May you have many, many, many more delightful years to make us proud.  We love you!


No comments: