Friday, November 09, 2012

And now onto other things

I’ve been lax, again ... sorry!  Things have been piling up around here.  And then with the election ..................  Well, that is over and we are heading on.

I have some exciting news to share.  Early this fall, I was asked to re-teach a weaver who has had a stroke.  I believe I mentioned this?  Darlene was a master weaver and I feel very humble trying to teach her when I know that she had HAD such skills and knowledge before the stroke.

She has two looms.  One is a twenty-four inch, four-harness “Baby Wolf” by Schacht; the other is a thirty-eight inch, eight-harness “Mighty Wolf,” also by Schacht.  I have wanted an eight-harness loom for ever-so-long and now, my friends, I WILL have one!

Darlene and her daughter, Jan, have agreed to trade me the Mighty Wolf in exchange for lessons.

Here is a picture from the Schacht web page to show you what it looks like.

I am in the process of looking for books and patterns and am excited but nervous about starting a new skill.  Eight-harness looms allow you to do so many different patterns.  I will be sure to show you as I learn!

Another exciting bit of news is about my favorite oldest granddaughter (with brown eyes).  Bitty has been nominated and accepted in the National Honor Society.  She was inducted this past week.  I have some pictures to show, but have blacked out her name, as requested by her mother. 

As you know, many bloggers will either not show faces of their beautiful children or grandchildren or will not post their true names.  This, unfortunately is because of stalkers who browse the web looking for innocents to prey upon.  I am one of these and so is my daughter.  No, not stalkers .... concerned parents / grandparents! 

But I CAN show you some pictures to enjoy.




This award is not only exciting because it honors her hard work in school but it will allow her to have a better chance at getting scholarships later on for college.

And, have I told you that she is not only in her junior year of high school but is also taking her first year of college?  Minnesota is one of the states (I don’t know if all others do this or not) that allows high school students to “share” high school and college at the same time. So when Bitty graduates from high school, she will have two years of college under her belt.  It’s hard work and she is constantly doing school work but she is (obviously) doing a great job and she loves it.

Another bit of news is that Jill and Eric went to Hawaii for two weeks in October.  Eric’s folks were celebrating their anniversary and chose to go to Hawaii to renew their vows.  They took both their sons and wives along with.  So Norm and I baby-sat our grand-puppies, Remy and Hank for almost three weeks.  It was a hectic time but fun.  The “boys” keep Peanut on her toes and me, too.  They were used to getting up early in the morning, so sometime between five and six, Hank was pushing his nose in my face saying “Get UP, Grandma!” 

Remy is Beagle and Basset (we think) and Hank is Basset and Labrador (we think).  Remy is older and a dignified gentleman, except when he thinks a coon is around.  Hank is younger and more active.  He actually bounced off walls sometimes!


Norm made a yard in the back for them, because they cannot be left off-lead (they are hunters, you know, and are nose-driven, so won’t listen to you when you call).  This was much easier on my shoulders, arms and back.  They got to wander and run and chase imaginary raccoons.  Did you know that Remy’s Beagle howl says “Coon!  Coon!  Coon!”

It was very, very quiet when Jill met us in Mankato to send them home.  Peanut wandered around for a couple of days looking for the boys.


I have been cleaning and re-organizing my studio to make room for my new loom.  I will, eventually (maybe) sell my twenty-four inch floor loom, Harriet Dare but am not ready, as there is a project on her right now.  My new loom has her name already - she is “Freya” ... named after the Norse Goddess who is the wife of “All-Father,” Odin and is the goddess of weaving, among other things.  My studio is ready so it’s time to bring my new “baby” home!

I will (I promise) keep you up on my first projects.  I can’t wait!

It was a beautiful foggy, overcast day today.  You have a beautiful day!

OH!  And one other thing ... I've "met" a blogger who weaves with an eight-harness loom.  I've put her on my favorites list ..  Amanda does beautiful work! 

No comments: