Monday, September 24, 2012

Luxembourg

In Luxembourg there is an American Cemetery where many soldiers are buried.  These were young men who died in Europe during World War Two. 

Also at this cemetery is the grave of General George Patton.  He was head of the army that fought in this area.  He survived the war but died in a car accident soon after.  He had requested that he be buried here with his men.  His grave is a very simple one, just like all the others here.

Dad and I went to this on our third day.  I was wandering around, taking pictures while Dad wandered around on his own.  We were the only ones there except a few maintenance men; the grounds were kept immaculately tidy and clean.  One of the men was sweeping the walkways as I passed.

This was an awesome place to visit.  It is a memorial to the many men and women who fought in this area during the war and who died to give us freedom.  I cannot say what feelings it gave me.

Here are the pictures that I took while there on that beautifully quiet day.  And that’s all I’m going to say about that. 


American Cemetery in Luxembourg

1 comment:

cheryl said...

I am enjoying your blog posts immensely . Your visit to the Anne Frank house brought tears to my eyes . You truly had a trip of a life time and thank you so much for sharing this with us .