Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fasten your seat belts!

To mis-quote Bette Davis, “Fasten your seat belts, it’s going to be an exciting ride!”  So, sit down, children - have I got exciting news for you!

I have waited to tell you this until after the Anniversary party.  Now that I am recovered (well, sort of), home and ready to look to the future, I am going to let you in on a little secret.

Several weeks before the party, Dad asked Candy and I to travel with him to ..... (are you ready?) ..... Europe!  Yes, everyone .... this little ol’ lady is heading to Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Holland, France, Belgium and other ports in Western Europe!

And I have a brand new passport!  My old one is almost 40 years old and could not be renewed.  


 
We leave Minneapolis on September 4th and will be gone for 10 days.  We fly out on Icelandair Air, land in Iceland for a few hours, then land in Amsterdam, where we will spend a day touring.  Then it’s by train on towards Frankfurt, Germany and a tour of several countries, coming back to Frankfurt to fly home on the 14th.

Now, it was just Father’s Day weekend when I told Jill and Eric that SOMEDAY I wanted to travel to England, Ireland or Germany; if I DID get to travel, what would I drink in the pubs?  The general consensus was that I could drink a fruity ale, a mead or perhaps a hard cider (I don’t like the taste of malt or hops, so beer is out).  So, the drink was decided .... IF I ever got to travel overseas. 

And, Lo! And Behold!  A few days later, Dad asked us to go.  Who woulda guessed?

So, now that the excitement of the party is over, we can start planning what we will take and what we will buy and how much we will pack for this exciting, once-in-a-lifetime trip.  I promise to take lots and lots and lots of pictures!  I hope that I will be able to send some to you from where we are on the trip.

So, less than 7 weeks to go!  It’s a beautiful day today; you have a beautiful day!



3 comments:

Becky said...

Your dad is chosing the absolutely perfect time for European travel. My dad, being a farmer, and taking other farmers (and us!)on a German trip, chose August, because hay season was done, harvest not yet in sight. Worst time ever, since that's the time Europeans also their 'holiday'. So, besides being in sweltering weather (they also have humidity and heat!!), not all services were available, or limited. Septmeber? Everyone's back to work, back to school, just like here. You will cherish this trip for the rest of your life. Pack your suitcase, and then take out half of what you put in, and then you'll have the right amount of stuff to take. Websites e.g. Rick Steve's Travel in Europe has awesome tips.

Cheryl Hotton said...

Congratulations , what a fantastic trip and to go with your father and sister , just perfect . Very happy for you !

Lap Dog Knits said...

have a wonderful time...
I hope it will be everything you hope it will be ....
and then....oh so much more!!!