Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Wistful Wednesday

 Clarence and Bessie DeWitt

This is a picture of Norm's grandparents on his mother's side.  I'm not sure when this picture was taken, but you can see the head of a child at the bottom of the picture, and they were pretty young at the time.

Norm was named after his two grandfathers, so I was confused.  He was named "John Norman" - John after John Lars Peterson, but where did the "Norman" come from?

Ah!  I have been enlightened ... his DeWitt grandfather was "Clarence Norman."  I'm so glad he wasn't named "John Clarence" ... I really don't like the idea of calling him "Clarence!"

Oh, and Norm was usually called Norm because there were so many Johns in the neighborhood when he was growing up.  My favorite John was John Spease, but that's another story!

It's already 27º out, sunny and NO WIND.  A beautiful day coming up.  You have a beautiful day!

4 comments:

Laura said...

When I was pregnant with my son, my husband's sister suggested we name him using both his grandfather's first names (instead of the variations of their middle names which we had been discussing). His name would have been Clarence Adolph! Their middle names were John and Paul and we named him Jonathan Paul. Better choice, in my opinion...even though he hates Jonathan now that he's an adult. Should have gone with John or Jon as that's what we've pretty much always called him.

Leslie Shelor said...

Family names are so interesting. Love the photograph!

Nezzy said...

Oh how I love lookin' at those old pictures, they hold so much history!

This was great sweetie.

God bless ya and have a magnificent day!!! :o)

Jan said...

Nice!