Monday, January 23, 2012

My Pillow was Frozen!

Thursday morning I headed to Marshall for a weekend Fiber Festival at the Purple Iris, the local Yarn Shop.  This was the owner’s (Jana) birthday, so she had a special sale and the Fiber Festival at the same time, in the shop.  Last year she had the festival at a Mall, but it was very cold and she never had exactly the right stuff to sell so always had to send the customers to the shop, where she had someone working.

This year, everything was in the right spot and it was warmer!  Well, inside ... it was about the same temperature as we had last year, but less snow.

When I got ready to leave on Thursday morning, I waited until the sun was up and shining because the temperature was -13º when I got up.  It didn’t make much difference, except that the sun was bright, because it “warmed up” to -9º by the time I got to Marshall, an hour away.

I planned on spending two nights with niece Cookie, but went straight to the yarn shop to set up and spend the day.  There were several girls there that either knit or crocheted, and also a spinner.  People came in to join us or they came in to purchase yarn, needles, patterns or just get help in something.

One gal headed out at noon and brought us all subs from Subway.  For supper, we ordered from the neighboring Chinese place.  

Then I headed over to Cookie’s to unpack my over-night things and join them for the evening.  As I was unpacking, I discovered that my memory foam pillow had frozen (by then it was “warmed up” to -3º but still felt very cold.  We put my pillow near a heat vent so that by the time I was ready to go to bed on her couch, it was warmed up and thawed out (thank goodness).  Frozen memory foam is almost like a brick!

Friday was all day except that I went “home” at 5:30.  I discovered that Jana has dolls of all kinds that show off knitting and crocheting patterns.  Plus she had other dolls that were for sale.  I fell in love with a baby doll; I am going to do some weaving and sewing and (yes) even knitting for her.  Her name is Mackenzie.  I have gotten flack for getting  her, but I love dolls, especially baby dolls, and I don’t care if I AM 68 years old, I STILL love dolls.  I ordered pizza for supper that night and we watched a movie and visited.

Saturday I went back to Purple Iris, planning on staying until 4:00.  However, we got snow overnight on Friday and it started to blow on Saturday, so Norm told me I’d better head home by 1:00.  Sister Candy stays at Cookie’s during the week and works there for H&R Block in the tax season.  She didn’t go home on Saturday because Sunday was supposed to be worse.  I could have stayed but knew if I did it would probably be Monday before I got home.

The weather was nasty - cold winds, blowing snow and +12º as the high.  But the roads were not as bad as they could have been and I made it home in good time.

I got home and struggled with Internet problems.  For some reason my Internet keeps popping on and off.  A technician will came today and figured out what’s wrong.  I got a new receiver, my router re-set and some funky stuff between the receiver and the tower straightened out.  So I’m online again (whew!) and able to do some work.

I have some lovely pictures to share ..... it was a wonderful weekend.  I love going there, staying with Cookie and spending time with she and Binni and Candy.



 My view of the store and some of the ladies who were there



 Some of the crafts that were being made
 A "woven trivet" of hot-pad for Jana (in her purple).  This is a "Whig Rose" pattern

 Mackenzie is 8" tall.  She is sitting on a bronze-brown "Whig Rose" trivet

We have fog, freezing drizzle and wind.  We got about 2" of snow overnight.  Despite that, it's a beautiful day - you have a beautiful day.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! and I thought it was cold here! Looks like a great weekend.
Hope you get your internet problems solved.

Jan said...

Oh that's a sweet doll.

Kathleen Taylor said...

What fun!

Nezzy said...

Well girl, ya know it's cold when your pillow freezes!!! 'Never would of thought of a pillow freesin'!!!

I looks and sounds like ya had a great time.

God bless ya and have yourself an extraordinary day sweetie!!!