Monday, June 27, 2011

I escaped!

This afternoon I sneaked away from the hospital to go shopping (gasp!).  Mom needed rest and I hoped that if I went, Dad would sleep in the recliner and she would nap, too. 

It has been a long day for all of us.  Dad and I had to be there before 6:00 to give her a hug before she went into surgery.  The surgery itself only lasted about an hour so Dad and I had breakfast and had just gotten settled into the waiting room before we got the call that she was heading back up to her room.
                   
The difference was amazing, already.  Her cheeks are rosier and she seems to be more chipper that she was even yesterday.  She was on total bed rest for 6 hours and had to have her head at least 30% up (the hospital beds have percentage markings so that the nurses know how high the bed is raised) and she couldn’t even put her legs over the side until 1:30 this afternoon. 

Once she had had lunch (and shared it with Dad and I .. she didn’t eat as much as I thought she should), I borrowed Dad’s car and went looking for material.

I have a table that is about 42" wide so a 45" piece of material for a tablecloth is not what I would like.  I need 54" or 60" wide.  The material is so geared to the quilting obsession that most of the material is 45" wide, or even only 44".  Frustration!

But Hancock Fabrics had a spectacular sale on their upholstery fabric so I got some 54" for three new tablecloths.  One is a red checked material (I love red checked tablecloths), one is a blue pattern and one is a blue Toile.

“Toile” (pronounced twahl) means "cloth" in French. “Toile de Jouy,” or “toiles de Jouy,” are terms that refer to fabric that was first manufactured at a factory in Jouy-en-Josas, a village located southwest of Paris, near Versailles. Founded in 1760 by German-born Christophe-Philippe Oberkampf,  a textile entrepreneur, the factory site was chosen primarily because of its proximity to the clear running water of the Bièvre River. Oberkampf knew that water is a crucial element in the dyeing process. Only the highest quality goods were used in the production of the factory's printed fabrics made of cotton, one reason for the enterprise’s success.

When I was in First Grade in Moorehead, MN, I had curtains in “red” (brown) Toile and have never forgotten them.  I have wanted some material for something special but it’s so very, very expensive.  But today it was on sale for (shock) $3.00 a yard!  So I’m going to have a tablecloth of this lovely material!










I took the material home to the apartment and had a nap before going back to the hospital, then out to eat at the best restaurant in Rapid City ... The Colonial House (thanks, Mom!).  It has been owned by the same family for 30 years - the father of the family who bought it was a co-worker and friend of Norm’s when he taught at Ellsworth AFB.  We used to go to the Colonial House often.  It is Mom and Dad’s favorite place as well.

Now I am home and ready for bed.  I was going to go down to the pool to swim but I don’t have the energy - perhaps in the morning? 

Mom is doing well and might be able to come home tomorrow ... the surgeon and the doctor (his partner in the heart clinic) will make that decision tomorrow.

So that’s my day today.  There were storms on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings with a total of 3 ½ “ and hail.  But today it got up to about 75º and lots of sunshine.  It was a beautiful day - you have a beautiful day.

1 comment:

Candy Duell said...

I am glad that your mom is looking better, and her surgery went well. I am keeping you in my prayers.