Friday, May 13, 2011

My Brother

Today is the anniversary of my brother's death.  He left us a year ago.


It is hard to believe that he's been gone a year, yet it seems like forever since he left.  There are times when I think: "I need to ask Charles this...." and remember.


Even though it's hard to have him gone, my heart bleeds for my "good-sister" Donna, who knew him and was married to him for such a short time.  I had him for 64 years.


I have a few pictures of Charles to share .. the first two are of him in Japan - he was very active in sports as he was growing up.


The last one is of Charles and Donna; Candy and I met them in St. Joe just a few months before their wedding so that we could meet Donna and (hopefully) approve of her.  And we did!




I also have millions of memories ...
   Like the time he was playing in a garage and threw a metal pipe - which hit me on the forehead; I needed stitches for that, and I can still find my scar.
  Like the time he was playing Tarzan and threw a spear - which hit Cara on the forehead; she needed stitches for that and she took that scar to her grave.
  Like the time he decided to have a picnic with hot dogs in the woods - the firemen brought him home to Mom and told him that if he did it again, they'd put him in jail.
  Like the time a friend stole some cigarettes from his dad; he and Charles talked a bunch of us into trying them.  I tried three puffs and threw mine away (never smoked again!).


But then there was the time that I was in desperate financial stress; Charles stepped in and paid my bills for 9 months until I was able to get back on my feet.


Silly memories, wonderful memories.  


Charles, you are loved and you will be missed.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Oh Connie...the memories help.

Mary said...

I really like the way you recalled these memories. My sympathies to you and your family.

Laura said...

Oh...I know what you mean about what will be harder the birthday or the anniversary of the death. I know that the 26th of July will be such a difficult day here...
(((hugs))) to you.