Sunday, May 15, 2011

Is it Spring, yet?

The birds seem to think so .. the flowers seem to think so, the animals seem to think so.  
 
So why am I so hesitant to say so, myself?

It’s been a while since I’ve told all my thousands of fans just what I’ve been doing (besides hibernating).

Mother’s Day weekend, we went up to the Cities.  Yes, dear ones, we actually left our little safe area and traveled up.  It’s been since November that we’ve traveled up there!

We arrived on Friday afternoon and spent time with our favorite granddaughters.  My, they are growing.  I don’t want to say it out loud but they are taller than I am!  

Saturday, Joy, Norm, the girls and I went to the Shepherd’s Harvest.  This is an annual event that is held in St. Elmo; it celebrates fiber of all kinds.  There are llamas, alpacas, sheep, goats.  There is fiber from almost anything imaginable - camel, yak, buffalo, cotton, corn, sugar, rabbit.  You name it — natural - it’s probably there, and for sale!

Plus finished items - felted, knit, crocheted, hooked.  Mittens, hats, scarves, shawls, sweaters, purses and much, much more.

I only got a few pictures taken - too busy visiting to think about pictures.




We came home, exhausted - well, at least me!  

Sunday, Mother’s Day, Norm and I went to see Jill and Eric.  They live only about 25 minutes from Joy’s so it’s just a hop, skip and jump to get there.  We spent the afternoon visiting and eating.  Eric was cooking on their new charcoal grill; between trips to the grill, he worked on some of my computer problems.  

We watched the new Star Trek movie – I don’t know how “new” it is, but it’s new to us, and we enjoyed it.  Even Norm, a non-Trekie (yes, there are some out there), enjoyed it!

Back to Joy’s for overnight, then headed home on Monday, stopping at friend Jody’s to visit and see her German Shepherd puppies.  At last count, she only had one left to sell, which is pretty good for such a large litter.

Then home!  It was great to be home - I love traveling, even for a short time, but I love being home even more.

Tuesday and Wednesday were school tours in Windom.  The museum pairs with the legal system for the third graders in the county.  I portray a pioneer woman (wow, what a stretch for me!) and get the kids for about 10 minutes at a time to talk about life on the prairie back in the 1800s.  One of the fun things is that the next “station” is the Victorian lady who is right across the isle from me.  So the kids just turn around to look and listen to her.  We both bring up the comparison, especially when she says she would not let me into her parlor!

When I came home from the museum on Tuesday, I had a surprise.  Soot finally had her baby - a sweet little girl that we have named “Tinker.”

Thursday we went to Sioux Falls and purchased my greatest desire (well, for now).  We got a wood burning stove for our living room!  Norm and I will re-arrange the studio to put my large corner cupboard up there and then put the wood stove in a corner of the living room.  This should help take the chill off on cool days and help keep the house warmer on cold days.  It should also help with propane.  I’m anticipating very little use of that next winter, what with the pellet stove in the basement and the wood stove in the living room.


So, now we are home and enjoying the lovely weather - well, at least today - we will have frost or freezing tomorrow morning but the weather people “promise” at least 4 days of sunshine and normal temperatures!  Right now it is about 60º with a breeze and sunshine — SUNSHINE!!!

It’s a beautiful day today - you have a beautiful day!


3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

your new little lamb is awfully cute! Sounds like you have been busy traveling! :)

dakota carding & wool said...

I had to look twice to realize you had a picture of moi on your blog! I notice that you are in the picture with Marie so i then remembered you had your photographer helpers with you!!! It was sure great to see you and your family at SH! Nice to see familiar faces in the crowds. Soot is beautiful and her lamb is sure cute!

Timothy said...

Tinker is just perfect! She is really well put together, and looks as healthy as can be! Congrats!