Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wistful Wednesday

I actually remembered that today is Wednesday and I have 3 photos to share.

In 1952, our family moved to Japan for 3 years.  My dad scanned in a lot of slides that he had taken while we were there.  

The first is self-explanatory ..
Mom is holding Candy --- Cara is beside Candy.  I am in the back with always-grinning Charles.

The second is of Candy with our live-in maid, Tsuru.  She was an orphan who was hired by the military to be a maid.  She lived with us for several years and looked on Candy as a daughter. Tsuru means "crane" in Japanese.  You pronounce it "Suru" but stick the "T" on so you actually say "T-Suru."

Tusru's very first birthday party with her very first birthday cake.
Candy is in the back, holding a present; Cara is holding a paper-folded  crane on a toothpick.

 In Japan they made a bit thing of birthdays.  I am wearing a new dress with rhinestones around the lace.
The cranes are Tsuru birds that were paper-folded by our own little crane, Tsuru.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I enjoyed your old photos..very interesting:)