Friday, April 08, 2011

Babies, babies, babies!

I apologize to my millions of fans for not being on for so long. I will try to catch you up with what’s been happening in my little world since the 25th of March.




On the 26th of March, Norm called from the Farm to tell me to get the boxes and the heating pad out - he was bringing some orphan lambs home. He brought home twin boys for me to foster and care for. The first one, “Feisty,” was strong and did well with my care. The second one, “Tiny,” was half the size of his brother. Norm said he thought the lamb was dead when he found him.

Feisty was able to get up and around and running (and eating toes, ankles, fingers, anything that was in nibbling range) so he went back to the Farm on Tuesday. Tiny had to be fed by syringe for several days and was unable to walk. He laid on the floor, looking like a frog swimming in water. In fact, he moved around by crawling, swimming. It took him almost a week before he could curl up like a normal lamb.

The day the Norm took Feisty home, he brought a black ewe lamb for me to care for. “Velvet” was unable to suck, as well. Even with a syringe, she could not swallow properly and it took over 24 hours to get her to be able to get more than an ounce down without swallowing it into her lungs (which gave her a “smoker’s cough”).


Therefore, I was up every 2 to 3 hours during the night and busy feeding and cleaning lambs, washing lamb towels and keeping things in order.


Peanut thought these precious young things were her babies and assisted me in washing their faces to get the formula off and keep their chins from caking up.


And while I had THESE babies, my own baby, Jill came for a weekend. I was able to visit with her and she was able to cuddle the lambs.


The week after, Joy and family came down so THEY were able to cuddle with the babies and I was able to cuddle my grandbabies.


Once Joy and family went home, I started making plans for heading to Rapid City to see my folks. I had promised my mom that I would try to visit in April and figured that if I didn’t make it this first week, I would have the month slip away.


Norm took Velvet back to the Farm once she was strong enough and the only baby left was Tiny. Norm promised to care for him and take him back to the farm only when he felt he was strong enough. Tiny was now able to walk, even though he was a little shaking on his pins and was eating quite strongly. He even slept the entire night through, 3 nights in a row before Norm took him home yesterday (Thursday the 7th).


So on Wednesday, I headed west. I stopped at Norm’s brother’s place, the home ranch that the Peterson clan was raised on; I spent the night with Mavis and Darrell and wandered around while Mavis fed her cats.


Then headed here yesterday (again, Thursday) to the folk’s apartment. I have already visited with friend Nancy and hope to get in touch with friend Sally soon. Mom and I are going to go to see my cousin, Kathy, on Sunday.


Sunday afternoon, Norm’s sister, Eileen, is having lunch with some of the Petersons so that I can see them.


I had planned on heading home on Monday but Mom has talked me into staying another day and heading home on Tuesday.


It’s around 500 miles from our house to their house and it’s a long trip. However, I took my time, stopped often and rested (and ate) so I took only about 1 ½ hours longer to get here on Wednesday. I hope to have as good a trip home as I had here.


The weather is really nice -about 60º right now - with sunshine and little wind. Spring IS coming … the trees are starting to bud out and some of the tulips and daffodil’s are starting to creep up.


I don’t have pictures with me of the lambs or any of my family, as I didn’t bring my computer, but I do have them at home. I will post the pictures after I get home so you can enjoy the pretty little lambs and my pretty little family.


It’s a beautiful day out today …. You have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Nezzy said...

I just adore this time of year when everything is beginning to Spring forth. I love any baby but so enjoy the farm babies we have.

You have yourself a blessed day sweetie!!! :o)