Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Oh, Shucky-Darn!

I was all inspired and all ready to see the eclipse last night.  Did you see it?  This is something pretty exciting!  A full moon on Solstice, PLUS an eclipse.  I’m sure that you have heard of the rarity of this happening.  And *I* was going to be one of those who saw this momentous event!



However, our sweet Minnesota weather canceled that plan!  We had snow ... yes, dear readers, more snow!  I’m not sure how much we got — could have been close to six inches by the time it quit.  But the strong east and south east wind made big drifts, again!  It started snowing about 8:00 am and snowed heavily all day, going down to less heavy by nightfall.  



The skies, though ... cloudy and overcast.  And fog in the air.  We had warm weather (about 25º) all day and into the night which made the fog heavier and the overcast skies more overcast.



I could “see” the moon ... well, at least see the results of a bright full moon.  There were shadows and the snow and the skies were very bright.  But no actual moon to be seen.  Sigh ......



At midnight, I looked again ... still no stars or moon, just the bright sky and bright snow.  At 3:30, I could “see” the eclipse ... well, actually, I could see dark clouds where the moon was supposed to be and the snow and skies were darker ... not totally, there were still light shadows, but no actual moon or “non-moon” to see.  No beautiful red moon like they said we could see.  Sigh ......



Oh, well.  At least I knew it was there and I tried.



The snow was beautiful yesterday, at least for those of us who didn’t have to go out in it or drive in it.  I took a lot of pictures to try to capture the heaviness of the snow and I think this one does it well.
 



So, on another beautiful day today, I hope you have a beautiful day.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Overcast and rainy/snowy here so I didn't see the eclipse either.

Candy T said...

I missed it too. Same thing.... I saw the difference in light, but no moon.