Friday, November 19, 2010

Weaving things

I have not posted about the Stitches in Time day that we had a few weekends ago.  It was a fantastic time and we had a lot of people there, for once.  Usually Candy and I are the only ones there with a pop-in from regular, Betty, for an hour in the morning.

Things were different this time.
Candy, Cookie and Betty's mom, Sophie, with Binni behind the computer
 
First of all, Norm and I went south-west one Sunday to assist a weaver-wanna-be in getting a “new” rug loom set up and to show her a few things that she needed to know to get started.  I invited her - Brenda - to join us at Stitches and she showed up.  I took
“Cherry,” my 15" loom to show her what a loom looks like all warped up and to show her exactly how you weave.

Joy and the girls came down for the weekend, so Joy came with me - it was her first time there; even though we’ve invited her often, she has never been able to come on Stitches weekend before.  

 
Niece Cookie also joined us and brought daughter Binni.  I had not told Bitty and Bubba about her being there, so when Norm brought the girls (after their late breakfast and chores), there was excitement abounding.  They stayed for a bit, then Norm took all of them home to be able to “hang out” (they are too old to “play,” I am told) and not have to be quiet.

Brenda came and we talked weaving for awhile.  Betty came and brought her mother, who wanted to re-learn how to knit.  Lois came; she is a semi-regular.  She had started a baby dress and had forgotten how to finish it, so Joy promised she would do it for Lois.  Brenda decided that she wanted to learn how to knit - she had a “learn-to-knit” kit.

Lois is working as well - you can see Cherry in the foreground.

Joy and Betty
 
Table runner and matching placemats 
 

 Finished table runner
 
Joy took over the knitting instructions, which was great for both Candy and I.  We can both knit but Joy can not only KNIT, she understands!  Cookie was doing some knitting, too.  She is learning to make socks, toe up, with the magic loop that I have never figured out.  So Candy and Joy took over her instructions.

 Joy teaching Brenda to knit while Lois looks on
Brenda, Lois and Betty
Joy's table cloth - handspun, dyed and knit
Candy helped Betty figure out a pattern on a crochet project she has.  She was given a partially finished doily and the thread for it, so between Joy and Candy, they got her started on that.  Joy not only crochets, as well as knits, she UNDERSTANDS crochet!  (I don’t think Joy is mine ... she must be adopted!)

I sat and wove — and nearly finished the table runner that I needed to get done.  With help from the gals, I decided not only how long to make it but who to give it to.

So now I have 2 projects done and ready for gifting.  And have started dressing “Cherry” for the next project.  I have figured out what I want for “Harriet Dare” but haven’t started yet.

One major project, semi-non weaving was deciding to give my rug loom away.  I have not woven a rug for over a year and decided the space was more important than the loom.  I offered it to Candy but she can’t find space.  I offered it to Joy, but the same ... no space. So Jody decided to take it - it is torn down and sitting in the van waiting to go up to the Cities this weekend.  I am now in the process of rearranging the studio to give me more useable space and more area to actually walk in, not weave around in.

I am also cleaning up other parts of the house, preparing for my sister-in-law, Donna.  She asked if she could come up for Thanksgiving; we are picking her up at the airport on Monday and we will have part of a week to visit.  

When we go up to the Cities, it will be to visit Jody and drop off the loom, stay with Joy and family and also be with Jill for awhile. She and Eric arrived HOME last week and are unpacking in their new place.  Eric plans on going up to his parents’ cabin to go hunting this weekend so we won’t see him this time, but there will be others.  

Joy plans on coming down for Thanksgiving but Jill can’t, as she starts her new job on Monday so can’t get enough time off to travel for a long weekend.  But there is Christmas (and Valentine’s Day and Easter, and my birthday and Norm’s birthday and all other times to visit) now that she is HOME.

It’s a cold, overcast day, but beautiful, none-the-less.  You have a beautiful day and a wonderful weekend.


5 comments:

Nezzy said...

Oh girl, I was eyeballin' some of the finished products and they are impressively beautiful. I sew, crochet, paint, etc. but I'm just waaaay to spastic to knit. I do admire those who do though. It's looks like ya'll have a blast and a half!!!

God bless ya'll from the happy hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa!!! :o)

Jan said...

Wow...looks like something I'd enjoy going to. I so far from anything I don't get a lot of camradery in these types of things.
Fun!

Jan said...

Wow...looks like something I'd enjoy going to. I so far from anything I don't get a lot of camradery in these types of things.
Fun!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Connie, What a great get together..your red tablerunner is stunning..that will fit one long table! Someone is going to really like that one.
The tablecloth is lovely too..you gals are amazing..I wish I lived closer..:)

Gail V said...

Hi Connie
I haven't had time to read blogs much lately, just catching up-- fun to read your news.