Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day


On Veterans Day, we honor all who have served for our country.  Beginning with the Revolutionary War (and even before) up to today, there are thousands and thousands who have willingly put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us and to protect our freedoms.

Myself, personally, I have to thank my father (World War II and the Korean War), my brother-in-law, Darrell (Korean War), my brother-in-law, Wayne (Vietnamese War) and my husband (Vietnamese War).

Fortunately, they all finished their service records with good health.  None of them were wounded or killed while serving.

But then there is my brother, Charles.  He was in the Vietnamese War and, unlike the rest of my family, was actually IN Vietnam when he served.  I posted earlier (on his obituary) Charles' service record.  But on this day, I feel it should be mentioned again.

 During his military career Charles was awarded the Soldier's Medal, the Bronze Star, the Air Medal, the Combat Infantryman's Badge, was  twice awarded the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with a bronze star, and received the Meritorious Service Medal.

Although Charles returned from Vietnam with no wounds, he suffered the rest of his life from the result of being there.  Mental suffering, as many veterans had, and then physical.  The Army took responsibility for many physical problems that resulted from Agent Orange.  Charles was one who had many of those problems.  He developed diabetes and heart disease from the chemicals. 

In fact, although Charles died many years after his service in that war, I feel that he is truly a victim of the Vietnamese War.  He is a hero who gave his life for his country that he loved so well.

Thank you to all who served; my prayers for those families who suffered losses because of their services.  A special thank you to Charles who willingly and devotedly gave his heart and soul for his county.

God bless America!

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Connie, Vietnam was so hard on so many young men..I think all wars were in one way or another. Thank you to your Veterans in your family..freedom is not free:(

Candy T said...

Thanks for remembering him so well.