Saturday, October 30, 2010

How low can you go?

This past week we had the lowest barometric pressure on record. The weather changed from pleasant 50s and 60s (and even higher) to a sudden drop with winds and rain and even snow up in the northern areas. We had traces of snow but no “measurable” snow. We ended up with over 2" of rain before the wind hit. High, high winds knocked over trees and electrical poles all over the state, as well.

Norm read that about 31 states had much the same weather as we did, so I might not be telling you much.

I did hear that this low pressure was lower than the one that caused the Edmund Fitzgerald to sink on November 10, 1975 in Lake

Have you heard the song written and sung by Gordon Lightfoot?

We were living in Australia at the time of this tragedy and had not heard of it (we heard very little American news down under). When we came back in 1977, this song was popular and I really enjoyed it but did not realize it wasn’t something that happened in the far past. It wasn’t until 1989 that I found out about when and what happened.

I was working in an office in the Cities where everyone else was a born and bred Minnesotan. On November 10th, the boss walked in and asked “Where were you today?” .. People started telling their stories and I said “WHAT?” (I think that was the beginning of my down-fall at that office - I found another job soon after because of the obvious dis-like of my superior - but that’s another story) So I was told about the Edmund Fitzgerald and realized that it had happened recently enough that it had become a living legend.

Anyway, back to weather, where I started this story - our weather was worse than that famous storm and people were warned to stay off the water! And we had no ships or boats sinking this time!

The weather has switched, again (sigh). It’s now sunny and back up to the upper 50s, whereas the past several days it has struggled to reach 40ยบ. We have sun, again. A nasty wind but not as strong as it has been.

I spent Thursday at a school - they have an arts and crafts day there and have many people come in to teach their skills. There was a clown, a balloon artist, dancers, marital arts people, etc. I taught beginning weaving and the kids really enjoyed themselves. We were able to watch the sun begin to peek out while we wove. I hope I have inspired some little ones to continue with weaving in their futures.

Yesterday I took the wedding present off Harriet Dare and have washed it and am waiting for drying before hemming. I will post pictures when I am finished.

It is a beautiful day today - you have a beautiful day.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Gene and I were trying to remember all the words of this song yesterday in the car..so I enjoyed the You tube. It was a heck of a storm last week..here the wind blew from the east for three days before it switched to the North west/west..we hardly ever have an east wind and for three days..it would have been a heck of a blizzard if it was colder:(