Saturday, May 15, 2010

My brother, Charles

I am at the library in Windom - I have a new computer coming so I am still without one at home.  Therefore I have no pictures to share today, but thought I would let you know more about my brother.


Charles was two years and one month (exactly) younger than me.  There has never been a time that I don't remember him around.  Because our dad was in the Air Force and we traveled, we four children had to depend on each other for fun and friendship a lot.  Cara and Candy were closer in age so they did things together while Charles and I did a lot together, as I was a tomboy and wanted to do a lot of what he wanted to do.


Charles was a mischievous (well, admit it, a naughty) boy a lot of the times, as most boys are.  But he was full of love and concern for the rest of us.  Even when he made me the maddest, I knew he loved me and wanted to take care of me.  He wanted to be the "big" brother, even though he was younger.


Charles joined the Army and went to Officers' Training in Oklahoma.  He then went to Vietnam and was in the "thick" of things in the jungle.  


At the time of his passing, Charles was living in Ardmore, OK with his beloved wife of three months, Donna, his new family of stepchildren and his son, CJ (Charles Joseph).  Donna was with him at the time and said he went very suddenly with no pain and no fear.  It is a shock to all of us, especially Donna, but that is the way to go when you go -- no pain, no fear, suddenly.


He has now gone to be with our grandmother, Nana, sister Cara and the rest of  ones who have gone before.


Now all that is left of a large family is four - our parents, both turning ninety this summer, and my sister Candy.  But we who are left have others to love and support us and have the others waiting for us when we go.


Norm, Candy and I will go down to Oklahoma to the memorial service.  Charles will be buried at the National Cemetery in the Black Hills of South Dakota during the Memorial Weekend.


Thank you, all for your thoughts and prayers.  I will put pictures up of Charles when I have access to my back up drive where all the pictures are.

3 comments:

Jan said...

I am so very sorry, Connie.
This has to be hard.
Thinking of you.
Jan

cheryl said...

Connie I am so sorry for your loss , my deepest sympathy to you and your family .

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Connie, I am so sorry to hear about your brother Charles..your parents must be so sad..it is a good thing you are there to help them through this difficult time Connie..sending prayers your way:(