Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day

For once, the Traditional Memorial Day and the new “convenient” Memorial Day are close together.


The traditional one is on Sunday, May 30th and the other one is on Monday the 31st.


I am sure that my thousands of loyal fans are tired of hearing me, year after year, harping on the differences of the two days, but this year I am going to give you a break.


Norm and I, along with Joy, Ken, Bitty and Bubba, are heading out to the Black Hills tomorrow. My new sister-in-law, Donna, is coming up from Oklahoma with a large portion of her family along with my nephew CJ.


We will have Charles’ Inurnment (the technical term for burying an urn, opposed to a casket) on Tuesday at the Black Hills Cemetery with full military honors.


Charles was a true hero of the Vietnam war; when I get a copy of the eulogy, I will post it so that you can see just what he did. And he is now one of the honored fallen who are to be remembered on Memorial Day.


Charles survived bullets from Vietnam, but that war took his life, eventually. Agent Orange cause most of his health problems, including diabetes and a congestive heart condition. It was his heart that gave out in the end.


So, on this entire weekend of fun and frivolity, let us pause for a moment or two to remember those who have died to give us the freedom that we so dearly love. Let us thank them and bless them for their sacrifices.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well said Connie, hang in there, it will be a hard weekend for you..I am thinking of you! :)