Thursday, March 25, 2010

Three birthdays in one

Today is the birthday of 3 very important people.

On March 25, 1883, Carolina Anderson was born in Norway. She moved to America when she was somewhere between 8 and 10 (we aren’t sure exactly when). She grew to be my beloved Nana. Nana died in February of 1984, very close to her birthday, so I always say that she was 101 when she died. I think of her often. She taught me many of my homesteading skills and a lot about life and love itself. Nana taught me about unconditional love, which I try very hard to emulate.


On March 25, 19XX, Norm’s niece, Glenda Peterson was born. Now, sometimes you have in-laws that you like, sometimes you have in-laws that you dislike. My sister-in-law-in-law (my brother-in-law’s wife), Mavis, became a very close friend. We have a lot in common besides the fact we were married to Peterson boys. When Glenda was coming, I was almost as excited and anxious as Mavis was. Back in those days, you had to be a close relative to get to the baby floor and see the mother and child. I snuck up when no one was looking to visit Mavis and to see Glenda at the ripe old age of 1 day.

Glenda is the oldest of 4 children who ran around together – Joy, Wade (her brother) and Jill. We did a lot together when they were children and Glenda, as oldest, was naturally the leader. (Glenda, remember “Pete’s Dragon?”)


I won’t disclose her age today – perhaps she is sensitive to age now, but when she hits my age, she will be proud to announce it.

On March 25, 19XX (again), my favorite niece (alright, my ONLY niece!) Cookie was born. I was not there for her birth as I was in Australia when it happened, but I watched eagerly from a distance. Because I wasn’t around, I had to depend on stories from my mother as to the circumstances of this event. Mom told me that Candy was determined that Cookie would be a girl and would be born on Nana’s birthday. (Am I right?) She was also named for Nana – a variation of Carolina (again, am I right?). Well, Cookie IS a girl (woman, now) and WAS born on Nana’s birthday and she has a sweet name that is more than likely that variation.


When we moved back to South Dakota, she joined Joy and Jill for many family outings and experiences. When her mom moved to Oklahoma, I was extremely unhappy. Now she lives an hour from me and I can see her often, which makes me very happy.

So, on this beautiful Spring day, I’d like to wish a Happy Birthday to 3 special women in my life. A very happy birthday to you all. I love you all!

1 comment:

cherylhotton said...

Happy birthday to the two beautiful women still with and a birthday wish to your wonderful Nana who I am sure is looking down at you with a lovely smile on her face .