Monday, February 01, 2010

Since it’s snowing out

Norm and I are having a quiet day inside. Well, I ALWAYS have quiet days inside, but Norm is usually out in the shop or shoveling snow or something more active.

But today he decided to fix the linen closet door. This door is an original from when the house was first built. It stuck and wouldn’t close properly. So he took it off and planned it down on top. Then it wouldn’t stay closed! So he had to move the striker plate. It still wouldn’t stay closed, so he loosened up the hinges and put a thin piece of wood there. So the door closes and stays closed! And even opens!! But he asked, “Why does a 15 minute job always turn into an hour job?” The rule around here is “Never ask why” and the answer to this question is “Because!”

Now Norm is working on the steps. I will post pictures of them when they are finished. If you are not aware, when the last owners built the addition on that is now my studio and our bedroom, they made five steps, all at different heights and different depths. We have had way, way too many people fall or almost fall, including me, on these stairs. So he tore them apart, measured, re-measured, and made the five into four even ones. It’s taking us a while to get used to the last step, as that one was only three inches from the floor. This one is seven and three-quarters inches, so we feel like we are going to fall when we step down. I don’t know how long it will take to get used to the “normal” step down.

I am working on the present for person (or persons) un-named, but thought I would give you a glimpse, especially since I don’t think the recipient reads my blog. As you can see, this has squares. It’s called “log cabin;” it’s hard to see the squares now, but they will show up better when the article is off the loom, washed and “fulled.” I have circled (well, squared, to be exact) two squares – if you look closely, you can see that one square has stripe-y things going up, the other one has it’s stripes going sideways.

Those of you who are weavers or wanna-bees, log cabin is pretty easy. If you have no interest, then come back another day, please, or avert your eyes for the next few paragraphs.

You warp your threads with every other one being a different color. The squares are more pronounced if the colors are drastically different. As you thread through the reed, you go for a certain width. I chose an inch width for my squares. I went blue / mauve / blue / mauve for an inch. Then went two blues, then mauve / blue / mauve / blue for an inch, then two mauves and back again. Understand?

As you are weaving, you do the same … alternate the colors for an inch, throw two of one color, then go an inch, throw two of the other color. Log cabin.

There is a log cabin in quilting, too. And my shawl that Joy knit me (purple one) is of knitted log cabin. I love the pattern!

I can’t wait until it’s done. I am so excited. At the same time, I’m dreaming of the next project …. Here is a picture of what it is supposed to look like.


The snow has slowed down some but it’s blowing some. I am listening to a favorite CD – “Civil War” by Frank Wildhorn. He composed the music for “Jekyll and Hyde” and “Scarlet Pimpernel.” I am so glad that I don’t have to go outside unless I want to. When the wind and cold are bitter, Norm does the chores (well, he SHOULD doncha think? … he EATS the eggs!) and I just do inside things.

It’s a beautiful day – it’s warmed up to +19º and there isn’t a whole lot of wind. You have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

dogsmom said...

Laughing so hard by the end of your first "adventure." I could picture it perfectly - as if I was in the same room. Wait - I think I was, except it was in this house and it was the porch door. And I think I knew the man muttering under his breath.