Thursday, November 05, 2009

Way to go, Yankees!

I stayed up rather late last night, watching the Yankees win the World Series title and was very excited.


Now, I don’t want you children to think that I was cheering the Yankees because they were winning!  Oh, no!  I have been a Yankees fan and a baseball fan for many many years.


It all started about 1952 or so.  My brother was in Little League and I fell in love with baseball / softball.  I was allowed to practice with the boys and was actually allowed (as a mascot) to ride with them to the games and sit on the bench.  But, as a girl, I was not allowed to play.



This was my costume of choice for Halloween.  The hat's "A" is for Ashiya, where we lived


My brother and my father listened to the New York Yankee games on the radio so I started listening, too.  At that time, I “fell in love” with Mickey Mantle, the best, in my opinion, player ever there was! My brother, Charles, of course would disagree to make me mad and we’d argue about it for hours.



I got this card while in Japan and have treasured it ever since.  It's a 1954 card.


We lived in Japan at this time (my dad was in the Air Force) and my dad was able to go to Tokyo when the Yankees visited and he took my brother.  I was not asked to go (I was a girl!) and it has been one of the deepest disappointments of my life.  Especially when Charles came home with news of a Mickey Mantle home run and a baseball that was signed by everyone (including MM)!!  I tried my darndest, then and even now, to get that ball from him, but to no avail!


I have been a fan of the Yankees ever since this time; even when Mickey retired, I still loved the Yankees.  When we moved to Minnesota, I became a fan of the Twins, but always had a conflict of interest when the Twins played the Yankees.  That’s why I was not sad when the Twins lost this year – after all, they had played a good year and lost to the BEST team ever!


And now the BEST team ever is winner of the World Series.  Way to GO, Yankees!  Keep up the good work!

3 comments:

Jan said...

Oh dear, as a diehard Rex Sox fan(from Maine) I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the best team. But we can still be friends.

Cathy M said...

I too became a Yankees/Mickey Mantle fan in 1952. I read everything about him, I didn't know I had a rival for him. I was so sad when he died.

The Unusually Unusual Farmchick said...

You WON! The King arthur scone mix too...
Shoot me an email with your address so i can pass it on to King Arthur flour company for shipping. And for the tea samplings.
Congrats "Spinning Grandma"!