Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Good afternoon, children!

I am now on-line, again, and am also now home, again. It’s been a busy 3+ weeks as well as the fact that when I WAS home, I had no computer, as I had taken it in to be repaired so that I can now do what I need to do (including posting properly on the blog!).

It’s been a long time since I was on the computer – and a long time since I was able to work on it without struggles.

Let’s start at the beginning…. Norm and I went to Pepin, Wisconsin, for the Laura Ingalls Wilder Days on September 11th for the weekend. Pepin is about 4 hours from here, so we had to leave before noon to get there in time to set up our tent. This is our “family reunion” time – everyone that comes is our extended family! During this time we visited with friends, ate well because 3 or 4 ladies were in charge of the kitchen and cooked great meals. Everyone would bring things from home (or purchased) to add to the kitchen stock and Molly, head cook, would plan what to eat depending on what was offered.

The Hilsgen family brought goats this year – they milk 68 of them on a daily basis and sell the milk and cheese. So they brought some of them so that people could experience the thrill of milking. For me, it was a fantastic thrill. I have not milked cow or goat since 1989, when I left my cow at home with Norm and moved to Minnesota. (But that’s another story.) I was allowed to milk two goats and was so thrilled that I wanted to take them home with me. Of course Norm said “No!! No!! NO!!”

On Sunday, Joy brought the girls down and they spent the day with us. They got to visit with friends, milk the goats and spin on “my” spinning wheel. (Ruth, are you listening? She runs great and I love her!) They then helped us tear down, joined the gang in a last meal – pizza from the local pizza palace – and we went up to the Cities with the girls and Joy to spend the night there.

Monday night was Ken’s birthday party and we headed home right afterwards. We had to get home for my therapy and to prepare for our next event in Bloomington.

So that was our first event, Pepin; I will continue on in another post about Bloomington and Albert Lea.






It is a beautiful day, today. The sun is finally over 50 degrees (actually is already 61 out!) and we have sunshine for the first time in 7 days! You have a beautiful day!

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

No sun here, you lucky duck..we are rainy and cold..I have not seen the sun yet in October:(

Your trip sounds like a blast, and I enjoyed the slide show:)

Candy Duell said...

It is so nice to see you back blogging, I have missed you. How is your knee doing? You said therapy, I am assuming it is on your knee.

Again, welcome home :)

Gail V said...

The slide show was wonderful; like a little movie of the Wilder Days flowing by. Nice to see all the girls learning new tricks.