Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day .....

NOT!!!

Okay, time for my annual rant about Memorial Day! Those millions of fans who have read my blog for the one hundred years that I've been posting will know what I'm going to say. But I have to say it, anyway, and again.

Memorial Day was originally designed for REMEMBERING. It was first called "Decoration Day," and was a day for honoring "Our Glorious Dead." Then on the 30th of May, 1868, it was made an official holiday and called "Memorial Day" for the first time.

This was the day to celebrate many things - there would be a parade, people would go to the cemetery to lay flowers on graves of the dear departed. It was not only the warriors of war that were honored but family members and loved ones, as well. It was also time to celebrate the beginning of summer, the ending of the school year and a gathering of families.
There would be picnics.

Memorial Day had been on May 30th since its inception. When it came in the middle of the week, schools would close for that day, then open again for the rest of the school year. Sometimes it was only a day or two before school was out for the summer.

But, in
1971, the government deemed it necessary to give the workers a three day weekend and moved Memorial Day to the last Monday of May so that there would always BE a three day weekend.

Now, I have no problem with three day weekends. I am all for them. But why in the world couldn't they have just said "There will be a three-day weekend the end of May and we'll keep Memorial Day sacred, as it should be!"

Now Memorial Day means, to the general public, a time for picnics, a time for "Sale! Sale! Sale!" at the big stores. A time to "save" money by spending money. No longer is it the end of the school year, as most schools go until the first of June.

Children, I think it is time to go back to the "Good Old Days" - time to spend thoughts on this sacred day, remembering what it was designed for in the first place. Time to ponder on the sacrifices that our honored men and women made to make this country great. Let's try to remember, no matter what day we chose, what "Decoration Day" - "Memorial Day" is really about.

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well said! :)

smallpines said...

Good words Connie. And it's way too easy to think of Memorial Day (incorrectly) as "The Beginning of Summer" nowadays. Sorry I haven't been around as much as I would like - moving is taking it out of me! =)

Jody said...

AMEN, Connie! Well said! And it NEEDS to be said, again, and again, and.....

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your yearly rants on your memorial day. Continue and more people will pay attention!

Love you

Heb

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Connie, Thanks for your comment on my spinning wheel, I was hoping you would catch that post. Right now I an concentrating on the story that should go with it. Someday,hopefully it may spin again..and I will be hollering for help in just identifing all the parts! I am just thrilled to have it at this point..it is such a busy time of year:)