Monday, March 23, 2009

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to swim in.

So, here I was, sitting in the recliner looking at emails and looking out the window (rain and wind and yucky) when I heard this water running somewhere.

Norm was in the bathroom, shaving (no, not his whole beard, just the bare spots) and I thought the water was him, but then I happened to glance at Guy Noir, my velvet red betta and saw him starting to quickly sink lower and lower in his bowl.

I hollered at Norm to come quickly and I grabbed his little holding tank to scoop him out. Norm reached for the bowl and the top split from the bottom, rather cleanly, but Norm sliced his finger on the separation!

And then there was blood everywhere!

So a gallon of water spilled out of the bowl onto the coffee table and floor. And Norm headed into the bathroom where he and I managed to get the bleeding stopped and a bandage on the finger.

I sat in a chair and carefully picked out the half-marbles that had decorated the bottom of his bowl and then cleaned the coffee table up.

Guy Noir is in his holding tank. I need to fill a gallon glass pickle jar with water for him and put him in that temporarily. And then need to find something for him to live in that is really pretty. And more sturdy than the last one. I would have sworn it was sturdy – the jar / container has been with me for many many years, holding sugar, macaroni, fish, etc. Can’t figure out why it broke. I wasn’t that careless, I don’t think, when I washed his tank out this morning, but must have dropped the marbles too hard and caused the crack.

Thank goodness I was here, otherwise poor Guy Noir would be gasping his last breath or even been dead if I had been gone when that happened.

WHEW!!!



Photobucket

Guy Noir in his lately deceased bowl

So, it’s a wet day inside and out. But I’m grateful to still have Guy Noir, so it’s a beautiful day, none-the-less. You have a beautiful day!

3 comments:

Jan said...

What a mess. Glad Norman was all right. I think a pickle jar willbe just fine!

Grandma Rosie said...

That's a lot of excitment for so early in the morning! Sure glad your finy friend is ok. Better yet, I am glad Norm wasn't badly injured! Have a good one.

smallpines said...

LOL - I think the pickle jar idea is poetic! And this would all be way too much excitement for me before noon!