Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Another great weekend!

This past weekend was the New Ulm Trade Fair. Or, as I like to call it, “The Great Minnesota Sleepover!”

Friends, traders, vendors, demonstrators and buyers come from all over the area each March. This is the first “rendezvous” of the season, so everyone is pretty anxious to get out of the home and gather together to see how the winter has treated others.

Norm and I demonstrate here – I’ve been there since 2001 and Norm started a couple of years later. Vendors and traders have to pay for their tables, demonstrators have a different fee because they are demonstrating but are also allowed to sell their wares.

I was hesitant to go this year because of my knee. We normally take mattresses and sleep on the floor, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to get up or down on a mattress on the floor. But Norm packed the bed frame so that I wouldn’t have to crawl (fall) down or crawl (???) up each night / morning. This also meant that if we found a secret corner, I could sleep during the day if need be. (I am still spending most of my day on the recliner and cannot stay “up” too long.)

When we got there on Friday afternoon, we discovered that our corner where we normally sleep had a curtain. This corner is normally a bar if they have dances or meetings downstairs. The manager had remembered that we slept there and kept the curtain up! So I had my secret nap-place!

Lots of friends showed up but some (like mother/daughter, Marie and Kelly from South Dakota) didn’t so that part was sad. The rest that came were fun to re-connect with.

Tom and Kitty Latené from Pepin, Wisconsin, came for their first weekend and “dragged” friends over – most of them had never heard of the Trade Fair, so came to check it out.

I had a nap on Saturday but just rested on the bed on Sunday, as it was a shorter day and also because a dear friend, Sherri, sat and talked to me while I was lying down.

There were also friends Deanna, Patience, Harley, Catie J, Kevin and Julie who are regular visitors.

The reason I call it a sleepover is because a lot of the vendors / demonstrators bring mattresses, cots, pads, sleeping bags, whatever, to sleep. You can sleep anywhere that you won’t get stepped on. It’s more crowded upstairs but there are getting to be more sleeping downstairs, too. In the morning, the bedding is tucked away somewhere out of the way and it’s business as usual. There are card games, conversations and small parties until lights-out at 10:00 each night. We have a security guard walking around but I never saw him this weekend. I do sometimes see him walking around if I’m awake at the “right” time.

Peanut, as usual, was there, also. She spent most of her time in her crate. Because of my difficulty with stairs, Norm was nominated to take her outside when necessary, but she didn’t have to go out much. The few people who saw her were thrilled. She makes a great poster child for dachshunds!

The weather was great – got up to the high 50s by Sunday, so many people were out enjoying the weather, which made great crowds. We got home by suppertime on Sunday night, tired but thrilled to see everyone.


It was a beautiful weekend. You have a beautiful day!



Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

5 comments:

Jan said...

Oh Connie,
I'm glad you got to go!
Jan

Candy Duell said...

It looks like you had a great time. Did you do any spinning or weaving? Or did you just enjoy the weekend? How is your knee and eye?

Small Pines said...

Those are some terrific pics, as usual, Connie! I like the first one especially. Good ol' Norm - I'm glad you were comfortable. That was the first thing I thought about when I started reading the post.

Candy Duell said...

Hi Connie,
Yes Bill is happy with the new stove. He has learned little things that keep it going at a nice pace, and so far....so good! Thank you for asking. :)

How is your knee???

Kati said...

Connie, I think you and Norm are such a beautiful couple, even if I DON'T get to see pics of the two of you together very often. The way you took care of him when he was injured, and now how lovingly he takes care of YOU with your "injuries". What a beautiful example you set for those of us who've been married for comparatively short a time.

Hope you're feeling better, and glad you decided to go to the "Great Minnesota Sleepover" even if you didn't feel in tip-top condition.