Monday, January 12, 2009

The Long Winter

This winter is looking to be very much like our “Long Winter” of 1988/89 that we had when living in South Dakota. That’s a story in itself, and I might put that on later.

However, I thought today that I would share with you the video I took out the living room window this afternoon. This is mainly for you poor souls who have never experienced a blizzard. For those of you who have, grab a blanket and a cup of something hot to drink! You KNOW what’s coming!

The temperature dropped from 23º this morning to -9º this evening. The wind is blowing about 40 miles per hour and the snow is still coming “down” – well, coming sideways! That means our chill factor is -34º!!! Mighty cold, I'll admit!

Although it is cold today, it been cozy inside. I’ve been working on the 15” loom, dreaming of a second 15” that Norm is going to build me and looking for supplies for that new loom.

I have sold my 45” floor loom; the people will come collect it sometime soon (if the weather cooperates) so I will have room for another little loom and the money to buy the parts that Norm can’t build.



So, enjoy the blizzard – I certainly am! And have a beautiful day!

Oh, and turn your volume up if you want to HEAR the blizzard!




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay cozy and warm.....love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing the weather video...

Carol Ann

Frances said...

Oh that looks bad...we are having a weather respite here in Scotland- was 5 degrees at night and day here over the weekend! Too warm for us at night now!

Have been dreaming about buying a pot of bulbs all night to remind me of Spring - am going to go and do it!

stay warm

xx
Fran

Candy Duell said...

Wow Connie, that is awful. I hope it is going to warm up in your area soon. We are going to get hit with the cold weather tonight I think. Brrrr, good thing I dont have to go out!

goodshepherd said...

Awesome video, Connie! It's a wonder that your camera didn't freeze up. It is terrible cold out there. I enjoy the sunshine this morning, but the temp is still in the -minus- range!!!

Jan said...

Ah, blizzards, we had one a couple weeks back! And I expect we'll have more. Doesn't this seem like a LONG winter already???

jayedee said...

holy guacamole! and to think i'm looking forward to 30 degree temps they're promising us for thursday!
wow!

Akannie said...

Hi Connie!!

I'm making the rounds of some new (to me) homesteading and real life blogs :)

Glad I found yours. I'm down by St Louis, across the river and through the woods. I'm watching the mercury drop 14 degrees in the past 2 hours here and the wind is roaring...cold cold cold.

Looking forward to getting to know you. I'm a new blogger, since July, I think.

Country living with gardens and chickens and composting and all the good stuff.

I'll be back!

Akannie said...

Hi Connie!!

I'm making the rounds of some new (to me) homesteading and real life blogs :)

Glad I found yours. I'm down by St Louis, across the river and through the woods. I'm watching the mercury drop 14 degrees in the past 2 hours here and the wind is roaring...cold cold cold.

Looking forward to getting to know you. I'm a new blogger, since July, I think.

Country living with gardens and chickens and composting and all the good stuff.

I'll be back!

Gardengirl1952 said...

WE got rid of our bad weather going on a week and a half ago and I guess it travled all the way to the mid west. Show was gone here in our valley since the 7th. Now we're getting a little more. We had a westerly wind called Chinook and all the snow melted and caused mud slides and avalanches in the monutian passes. took out some ski slopes along with some lifts, and hiways. Take care and keep the fires going and yourself bundled up. ...Linda