Saturday, October 18, 2008

The beginning of another fun weekend

Friday Norm and Peanut and I loaded up the car and headed south to St. Joseph, Missouri to meet my brother and my nephew for a sightseeing, visiting weekend.

St. Joe is about half way between us and brother Charles, who lives in Oklahoma. He had been there before on a tour guide trip, so he had a lot of information about the area and a lot of visiting under his belt.

On our way, we stopped at Missouri Valley, in Iowa, where the Bertrand was discovered. The Bertrand was a paddle-wheeler steamship on the Missouri River that was going to Fort Benton, Montana with supplies. It had about two hundred and fifty tons of cargo, as well as passengers when it hit a snag and sank in about ten minutes. Luckily, no lives were lost but personal items were lost as well as the cargo.

In the nineteen-seventies, it was discovered and dug up. A lot of the paper, material and other items were destroyed, but the rest of the cargo had been protected by the mud and were able to be recovered. After tedious cleaning, the cargo was put into a museum to show. The items are under a very dim light, in air tight, air-controlled areas. We were allowed to see some of the items behind glass but the rest are stored on shelves in the back.

Several years ago, my friend and boss, Deanna, went to a convention and came back a different way so that we could see the Bertrand, but Norm had never seen it.

The pictures I took are not the best, as I was taking them in the dim light and through glass. Most of the identifying cards are blurry because they look double behind that glass.

However, you can see some of the many items (I won’t bore you with all of them). For historians, especially “living historians,” these items are priceless, as we can prove that people had and used them “back then.”

We are constantly getting questions and even arguments about “they never had that back then! I remember one argument (well, discussion) about claw hammers (which, by the way were used, as an early version, in Rome, during her famous days).

So, here are some pictures of some of the items we saw. Deanna, some of these pictures are better than then ones I took when we were there, as my camera is better. But that little motel is still there, as well as the good restaurant across the road from the motel. I showed Norm the motel and we ate lunch at the restaurant. The food is still good!

After we got to St. Joe, we met Charles and nephew Charles Joseph (CJ) at the motel, unloaded things, had CJ check my Internet (he’s a computer “geek” – unlike me, Jody!) and went to Red Lobster for supper. I have no Internet because I have to pay for it here at the motel. I think I’ll get service tonight so that I can post this.

This morning (Saturday), we will go to see the Jesse James home and the Pony Express Museum. I am fortunate that Charles likes history so that we can go to these wonderful museums and get a lot more history under our heads.


It will be a beautiful day today – warmer than at home. You have have a beautiful day.



Photobucket

Yes (sigh), they DID have claw hammers "back then!"


Photobucket
The entrance
Photobucket
The Bertrand
Photobucket Grasses growing by the side of the road

Photobucket Closeup of grasses

Photobucket Two-gallon jars of liquor

Photobucket
Matchboxes
Photobucket
Butter Churns
Photobucket
Rubber buttons

Photobucket

Liquors and brandied cherries - look at the shelves behind.

Photobucket
Screwdrivers
Photobucket
Padlocks and keys
Photobucket
Yes, they DID have pocket knives!!! Norm has one almost exactly like these!
Photobucket
See the shelves behind with all that yummy stuff?
Photobucket
A spot on the river, close to where the Bertrand was discovered
Photobucket
The bluffs along the river near Council Bluffs, Iowa
Photobucket
The experience traveler sleeping on the trip (and the pony got to go along, as well).

3 comments:

City Mouse said...

I just knew you would have a post from an awesome Fall adventure when I checked it! I think I read about this boat, actually. Wow - what a cargo they were carrying. Such neat stuff. It must have been a huge boat!

goodshepherd said...

oh Connie! Such a wonderful adventure you had! I LOVE going to places such as this! Sort of like the Edmond Fitzgerald Museum up in Duluth. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting all the wonderful pictures on your blog. It makes me feel almost as if I went along on the ride. I am so happy for you guys!

Kati said...

Looks like a fun trip, Connie! Thanks for sharing the pics (however blurry) of the museum with us! How fascinating.