Thursday, September 04, 2008

Fun at the Fair

I arrived at Joy’s on Tuesday night (the 19th) and had a great visit with her and the girls, then went to bed. Bitty generously allows me to sleep in her bed and she sleeps in Bubba’s room. On Wednesday, we all got ready and headed to the Fairgrounds, where the girls helped unload all of my stuff and put it in the cabin. Katie and daughter Takara had gotten our pop-up trailer set up on Tuesday night and slept there; they were already at the cabin, cleaning. After all the stuff was settled at the cabin, we went out to lunch, and then took stuff to the camper. Katie and I purchased my brother-in-law’s pop-up camper a few years ago and it makes a great home for Katie, Takara and I with room for Norm to join us when he comes. Then went back to the cabin where Joy got tickets for she, Ken and the girls, as well as a parking pass for Norm and a ticket for him.

Photobucket

helping set up

Photobucket

beginning to be setup

Photobucket

another view of the cabin

Photobucket

my chair

Photobucket

friend Jan (superintendent of the Fair museum) brings flowers from her home garden to brighten our home

I got my parking pass and parked the van in the Heritage Square Entertainment area for the duration. We had gotten my “Pony” (mobility scooter) out of the van so that I could head back to the campground that night. The girls and Joy headed home and I joined Katie, Takara and friend David for supper that she cooked over the open fire that is set up at the cabin. Then I hopped on the pony “Flash” and headed to the campground.

Bright and early on Thursday morning, I was up, dressed and heading to the cabin for the first day of work. I meet, every morning, the “gang” for breakfast. This is Roger, the bowl turner (Bodger), John, an artist that draws railroad depots, Lorna and Steve who sell “smell pretty” stuff and painted mirrors. I opened the cabin, swept the floor and went tootling around to see friends in Heritage Square (vendors I have known from past years), then parked Flash, covered her with a tarp to keep dust, rain and nosey kids off of her.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Katie showed up around 10:00 (we open at 9:00), Takara came later and David even later. I left at 7:00 every night while the rest of them stay until 9:00 when they close, which is why they come later. With my pony taking me around, I went to more places than ever before – seeing more of the Fair than I had for the past 7 years (this was my 8th year) before going “home” to the camper for the night. Thursdays are “traditionally” the slow day, as it’s the first day. However, this day was a record for people coming – at least for a very long, long time!

Photobucket

Takara with Tony's baby, Molly

Photobucket

Adam is doing a shaving demonstration

(child in background came back several days to see us)

Photobucket

Every day was about the same – we had Ole Oleson show up every morning, starting on Monday to help me open up and keep me company until the others showed up. Katie, Takara and David showed up somewhere from 11:00 to 1:00 to fill up the schedule (and cabin). Katie had a few people from Historic Murphy’s Landing, where she now works, come to spend a few days here and there.

Photobucket

Ole with his immigrant trunk

Photobucket

Katie and friend in the back yard

Photobucket

Adam is shaving David

Photobucket

Takara with her harp

Photobucket

David playing my harp (I loaned it to him so he can make a cd of his music)

Photobucket

Tony is a vendor that sells stuffed animals (real ones - he's a taxidermist)

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket


David is 6 foot 3 inches - and "Pum" is as tall at the shoulder as David is


As Katie was working at Murphy’s Landing, she had to be there on the weekend days so the weekend was a little “light” in personalities. Takara cooked supper for us all (Katie cooked suppers during the week).

On the second Saturday, August 30th, Norm came to spend a few days – it was so very great to see him as I really, REALLY missed him. He brought only a few spoons (and sold some) and a knife and sandpaper, not all the stuff that he normally brings (shave-horse, etc.).


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Roger is a wood turner and plays the banjo at the cabin every night


On Sunday, it was Joy’s 37th birthday, so the whole family came out to visit the Fair. Most of the time they were wandering on their own but Norm and I took a 2-hour lunch break to join them for lunch and a few sights. Then at 6:30 (getting off early), we joined them for some more Fair fun, supper and wandering. We walked (well everyone else did) to their car, said goodbye then headed home to the camper.

Monday – LAST DAY!!! It was hard to keep going – we kept looking at the clock to see what time it was and wondering if the clock had stopped. Norm went wandering around, getting Fair food for all of us – kettle corn, cream puffs, French fries, etc. Takara had a simple meal of canned beans, canned tomatoes, hot dogs and a little bit of hot sauce as a soup. Not too bad for a throw-together meal. At 7:00, Norm and I went wandering for awhile, then got our last steak sandwiches (I had one nearly every day) and picked up some turkey legs for the girls – they were on special the last hour of the last day.

Photobucket

David is running an errand on the pony

Tuesday, Norm and I were up early, went down on the pony to the cabin and opened it up to start tearing down. Norm brought over the van from the parking lot to put our things in, got the car that he drove from the parking lot and went back to the camper to get our stuff out so Katie could put the camper down, drive over to the cabin and start her tear down.

We were ready about 9:00 and when Katie came, we helped her a bit, took David home and headed to Joy’s for the night.

On Wednesday, we packed Bitty and Bubba up with us; Bitty rode with me, Bubba rode with Norm and we headed home. They will be here for about a week while Joy flies to Miami to help Ken get their new apartment ready – they will be downtown Miami, 15 minutes’ walk to his office.

Now we are picking tomatoes, apples and cucumbers to make into things. The first batch of tomatoes was made into juice and is now cooling on the counter.

It was a long haul but worth it monetarily (I get paid well for being there) and a lot of fun. I am glad to be home with Peanut, Norm and the girls. I woke up last night thinking, “there’s no vehicle noise – what happened?” and realized I was HOME, not in the camper struggling to sleep over trucks and noisy cars on the busy road just next to us! What a relief!


We are having beautiful, PEACEFUL, QUIET days here – you have a beautiful day!

2 comments:

City Mouse said...

Wow! Really cool stuff this time especially! Pum is fabulous and gigantic, of course, but I love the pics of the cabin also - especially the shot of the music by oil lamp. The instruments are so beautiful!

Moonbeam said...

Sounds busy but looks like it is fun living life like that for a bit. Wish I was closer so I could join your family for a few days at the fair.