Wednesday, August 06, 2008

A day to remember!

Sixty-three years ago this week, the United States dropped nuclear bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In the United States and around the world, people will commemorate the lives lost and the destruction and horror that those weapons brought on August 6 and 9, 1945, and beyond.

And what are you doing to remember this? What am I doing to remember this? What have any of us done in the past to make sure this does not happen again? What can we do in the future to make sure it WILL NOT happen again?

I hope that all of us take time to reflect on the damage that humans inflict on other humans, justifying it with “God says” or “It’s my right” or “I’m better than you” or any other such nonsensical phrases that start these dreadful wars.

Would that I could live to see the end of wars and true peace throughout the whole world. However, I don’t hold out much hope for that, knowing what the human race is capable of.

But, please, let’s all try to have a little peace in our own parts of the world and try to spread that out to others – maybe SOMEDAY it will truly happen. “Let there be Peace on Earth, and let it begin with me.”

2 comments:

goodshepherd said...

Well, Amen to that, Connie my friend! You said it well. I am so sorry that I did not know about these dates, but I will make sure and write them down. This IS an important event to remember; and pray it will never happen again. To ANY ONE!

Moonbeam said...

I remember when my eldest was studying World Religions for Cubs - he was about 9. He read about the various religions, and we discussed several things, including wars. Then he said, "I don't know what they are all fighting about, basically they all believe the same thing." Ah if the innocence of children could be bottled and handed out to politicians etc.