Friday, August 15, 2008

Country Living

A while ago, I wrote an article for the Lehman’s Blog about living in the country. I thought I’d update it as to what has been happening, in my little corner of the world, this summer.

Since we got the lambs, they add another chore for the mornings – I make sure they are still in the fence, top up their water and talk to them a little bit. Arthur would rather I let him out and let him sit on my lap, but that’s not going to happen!

Norm is haying, because of the lambs. We have about four acres, give or take, of pasture that Norm has been cutting. He used Wayne’s
Jari to cut hay in tight places, and then hired a neighbor to come and cut the big places. He and Jody have been raking up the hay and he’s been taking it by lawn tractor or by large tractor over to the barn where he’s been stacking it for the winter. We have enough, I believe, but Norm is going to buy a round bale from another neighbor, just in case. And I have to pay for that out of my personal money, since the lambs are “mine.”

Driving to and from places this summer has been a delight – there are so many animals to see on the way. Norm sees pheasants nearly every day on his way to or from work. Last week we went to town with Candy and Wayne (I paid her for doing the major work in helping the folks get out of their house by buying the two of them steak dinners); on the way home, we saw two sets of pheasant families. Both sets were sitting on top of a round hay bale, sunning in the early sunset. I wanted to take pictures, but when we slowed down, Momma and Poppa jumped off and the babies followed. (Actually, they are teenagers by this time of year!). I have seen several pheasants, both roosters and hens, running around on the sides of the roads, getting gravel for their gizzards. Did you know that the saying “Scare as hens’ teeth” has some meaning? Poultry HAVE no teeth. They need gravel to go into the gizzards to grind up their food.


Photobucket

For those of you who are not "in" on country happenings,

the hay bales are now (mostly) made in large rounds - about a thousand pounds each.

At the same time as the families of pheasants, we saw a fawn in the corn (and I was the first to see it!). We have seen fawns and does several times, while traveling on the roads – usually just about sunset.

Another sight I have seen several times is a skunk, slipping his way into the corn. I am not sure if it’s the same skunk, but I THINK so, as it’s about the same place every time I see it.

Also, last month, Peanut woke me up, barking like crazy. I let her outside, only to hear coyote pups calling to each other. They were in our west pasture, which is just across the lane from our house – very close! I grabbed Peanut so that she wouldn’t join them and went into the house. After I calmed her down and convinced her that the pups (at least three by the sound) were not coming into the house, we went back to sleep. I woke up about four, hearing Peanut growl. The coyote pups were now just outside our bedroom window, probably only about twenty feet or so from the house! Ah, country living!

We enjoy our country life; I had a visitor stop by the other day and said, “Why are you living way out here? There is NOTHING here!” I answered, “Exactly!!”

You have a beautiful day!



3 comments:

goodshepherd said...

Those are my sentiments exactly, dear friend! And although there is 'nothing' out here, we have so much more than those in the city!

City Mouse said...

Hey! I think I might have read that article. Thanks for the bonuses here. Same conclusion I come to - I like being out in the middle of nowhere!! =)

Anonymous said...

enjoyed your article - but....you mentioned lambs and coyotes in 'same breath'....no problems ????? instead of pheasants, we see lots of turkeys, 'moms with teens' , occ gobblers and jakes in groups; also, the occ fox, and lots of deer. haven't heard the sandhills(cranes) overhead yet, heading south; hummers(hummingbirds) all gone to central and south america by now. looking forward to cooler>cold weather - (yes, used to live in montana so do know whut really cold weather is) stackin' up firewood closer to house. 'nuthin out here' 'cept owls -barred and the occ great horned, chuck will's widow, crickets and frogs at night, and, since it's 0330 edt, think i'm going to take a nap! :) tingo.