Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I touched her!

My lamb, Soot, has always been a wild child – when Norm went to catch her, she jumped fences and did all kinds of crazy things to avoid capture. When we put her at Jody’s, she thrashed around and tried to escape the fence we had put up. Now here at our farm, when I approach her, she takes off for the high country (as high as you can get in a small enclosure). However, she is buddy-buddy with Arthur Godfrey, who is a pig in sheep’s clothing that wants to sit on your lap and cuddle, even at six months of age! When I go up to the fence to check on them, he comes running, hollering his head off. Soot will follow, but at a safe distance, in case I have a knife in my hand, or something as dangerous, with which to slaughter her!

However, last night, I went up to the fence to check on the water level in their bucket and Soot came over close enough for me to stick my fingers through the fence and TOUCH her! Without her jumping away! Of course, Arthur was there, immediately for his nose rub and pushed Soot away! But there is hope that someday I might be able to walk up to her and rub her on the head! (Hope springs eternal!)

On the home front, things have been going busily, as normal. Yesterday I had friend / co-conspirator Jody
come over to show her how to make a blog – and she now has one. Drop over to see her blog - “Good Shepherd Farm.” For some reason I get a “content warning” when I pop over to see her – don’t know why but there is nothing on her blog to be wary of!!!

On Friday, Norm, Wayne and I went to Pipestone to meet my folks for the Hiawatha pageant that has been on-going for sixty years, but this is the last year. My dad wanted to go, so arranged for us to meet him and my mom there for supper and the pageant. Norm called and made arrangements to get bars for the luggage rack for our van, so we went early to get them from the salvage yard, then went to the motel where the folks were staying. After a lovely supper at a very nice family restaurant, we went back to the motel where Norm, Wayne and Mom played a hand of three-sided cribbage, I did some embroidery and Dad surfed channels on the TV.

I am not sure how many know this fact, but Pipestone is where the stone is quarried for Native American pipes and only those of Native blood can quarry it. This has been an historical spot where many tribes would gather to collect the stone – it was traditionally a peaceful place, as it was a holy place for many tribes, so even warring tribes could gather together safely.

We went to the pageant, found our reserved seats and settled in to wait until sunset for the pageant to begin. The setting was awesome – it was in a quarry with a small lake – there were chairs on the slope leading to the lake so that you could see the pageant from almost everywhere. The lighting was awesome and the scenery was great. However, it was a “canned” play – the speakers were prerecorded and the actors mimed the words – and very poorly, in my opinion! The story was excerpts of Longfellow’s “Hiawatha,” a good story but very long, so we were all pleased that the story had been cut down dramatically.



Photobucket

Waiting for sunset
Photobucket

Awesome lighting

It was late when we got home, only to turn around and head to Walnut Grove in the morning. We had some rain, threats of storms but had a great time, anyway. There is a potter that does wood firing and has excellent work. Last year Norm traded a spoon and a spatula for the promise of a bowl but we got separated by time and never saw the potter or his wife until this weekend. But they had remembered and the wife came over to tell me to come pick out my pottery. I ended up with a small bowl and a handle-less mug.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Peanut joined us, of course – she goes to almost every outdoor event we go to. Because of the threatening storms, she spent most of her time under my dress, so very few people even knew she was there.

Niece Cookie and daughter Binni came down from their home to spend some time with us. They each got a funnel cake and, as I was oooohing and ahhhing over them (I had shared one with Norm earlier), a guest was asking what I was so excited about. It turns out that she has not only not HAD a funnel cake, she had never HEARD of funnel cakes. So Cookie got into the educational mode and offered the woman a bite. She went, immediately, to the funnel cake booth and got one of her own!

On our way home, as both of us were totally exhausted by the late night on Friday, we stopped at the local café for a light supper before heading home. Fortunately, the storms and rain had cooled the air so that we didn’t worry about Peanut in the van while we ate.

So, home again – the past few days have been rather restful, as we look forward to next weekend in Decorah, Iowa, for the Nordic Fest there. If you are around, stop and see us! I will try to get pictures of the events there.
It was a beautiful, semi-non-humid day today – you have a beautiful day!


2 comments:

Kati said...

ROFL I LOVE introducing people to funnelcakes!!!! Only, I've never had one at a fair, but my dad makes excellent funnel cakes. The first time Scott had one was hilarious, the look of delight on his face at the taste.

Kati said...

Oooops, forgot to say that your bowl and mug are beautiful!!! Glad y'all had fun, and it's comical to hear that Peanut spent most the time hiding under your skirts.