Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Flot Brod

Or … Norwegian Flat Bread! The immigrants made a lot of these, wrapped them in towels and took them along with them on the ships for food. They stay fresh pretty long and after they are not fresh, you can dip them in coffee to soften them up or chew them – they are still food!

That’s what I made yesterday in preparation for the Sons of Norway District Convention this weekend. We have been invited to demonstrate there as immigrant pioneers.

It’s really rather simple and very delicious – so say I, the world’s fussiest eater!

We will use it instead of crackers (it’s more period correct) while at the convention. I am going to make some olive spread, some pineapple spread and we will have beef log and cheese and apples. I will also bake some oatmeal cookies for Norm.

The recipe (I know you are drooling and can’t wait to try it yourself) is simple.

1 ½ cup of flour
½ cup of sugar
½ cup softened butter
1 cup boiling water

Combine and let cool in a large bowl (I use my wonderful new KitchenAid mixer). Let stand until cool.

Stir in:
4 – 4 ½ cups of flour (I used 1 cup of rye, the rest white)
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Use enough flour to make the dough easy to handle and not too sticky. If doing by hand, turn onto floured surface and knead until thoroughly mixed.

Divide dough into half; shape each half into a 12”x 2 ½ “ roll. Cut each roll into 12 portions.

Roll each portion on floured surface to 1/8” thick (as thin as you can get them – too thick and they will be gummy in the middle). Flat breads will be irregular in shape.

Place on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake at 400º for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.

OR ………… do what I do – “fry” on flat griddle to get the toasty, crisp texture. I sprayed my griddle with olive oil for the first one – the rest were just fine with a dry griddle.



Photobucket

I LOVE my pastry board!

Photobucket

On the griddle

Photobucket
I use my trusty wooden spatula (made by my trusty wooden husband)

Photobucket

Cooling on the rack

Photobucket

Toby could smell the bread frying and wanted in the window - thank goodness for strong screens.

Enjoy~~

2 comments:

Kati said...

Ooooh, those DO look yummy!! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us, Connie.

BTW: Sopaipillas are like a mexican fried pocket-bread. Or, like Native American Fry bread. Yummy. I often use a Fry bread recipe along with the Beef filling recipe from a long-ago Taste of Home mag. The filling is basically ground beef & onion browned up together, then drained, then seasoned with a bit of salt & pepper (and some garlic powder, if you'd like). There's a sauce that you're supposed to dip this stuff in that's only a can of cream of chicken soup, a 4 oz can of chopped green chilies, and 1/2 c chicken broth, and a little minced garlic. But, what we do instead is mix a good couple of spoons of the beef mixture with the chicken-soup sauce, tuck it all into a sopaipilla that's been cut open along one side; top with shredded cheese and microwave just long enough to melt the cheese on top. Keep a fork and knife handy because these are messier than sloppy-joes. But ooooooooooh so yummy! *grin*

Hope you're having a great week!

Jan said...

Hey Connie,
That looks like something I'm going to try! Thanks for the recipe. Jan