Wednesday, February 27, 2008

DO YOU KNOW

...the difference between margarine and butter? This has been going around on emails and I thought I’d share.

Both butter and margarine have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study. Eating Butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added! Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.


And now, for Margarine: it is very high in trans fatty acids, triples the risk of coronary heart disease, increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol). It increases the risk of cancers up to five fold and lowers quality of breast milk. Margarine decreases immune response and decreases insulin response.

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC...

You can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:
· No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)
· It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value
Nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weenie microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?


I haven’t had margarine, for the most part, since 1972. Our family was raised with margarine (calling it “butter”) and I hated it – I refused to eat it unless it was melted so I couldn’t taste it as much. I would not eat a sandwich that had “butter” on it. When we moved to Australia, they did not have margarine, only “real” butter. I discovered the difference and found that I liked sandwiches with butter on them. Since then, I have stuck with butter; if I had to buy it, I didn’t mind the price difference between the butter and margarine. If I had the chance, I would make my own (as when I had a cow and therefore had milk, cream and butter).

This email came to me from my brother, who also sent it to our sister. Candy told me that she firmly believes that my good luck with heart problems stems from butter. She has had margarine in her home until just a few years ago. My brother has had margarine in his house all his adult life. My parents and sister Cara also had margarine.

My father, my brother and my sister Candy have all had triple by-pass surgery. My sister Cara died of heart problems. My mother has had heart problems, but only later on in life. I have just now developed heart problems!

So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! If you use margarine, change over for you and your family’s health’s sake. This does not mean you need to put gobs and a gob of butter on things, but cooking with butter is much better for you than margarine. Try my test. Air pop or microwave some popcorn. Melt some margarine and pour it on some of the popcorn. Melt some butter and pour it on the rest. Look at the popcorn. Your margarine popcorn kernels will have shriveled, shrunk and melted into almost nothing. Your butter kernels will be firm and moist and yummy

Have a beautiful heart-healthy day.

5 comments:

Jan said...

I NEVER use margarine. I hated it growing up and still do. Butter is the choice here, local if possible.
Some much of today's food it not real food its a wonder that we are not in poorer health.

Sonia said...

I don't eat margarine neither butter. Good and useful post, Connie! Our heart-healthy thank you so much!

jayedee said...

i am completely on board with you here! butter is the only way to go!

Kati said...

I don't use margarine either. But, DH does, and DD does. DD is starting to like butter more, though. I'm always buying butter, these days (I mean, a couple of boxes every time I'm at the store) and DH keeps asking why I need so much butter when he never eats it, it's only me. He doesn't realize that I use it in my cooking & baking now, instead of margarine, and that DD also prefers real butter these days. So, he's eatting it when I can get him to (when he doesn't realize it). I'd rather eat something natural, straight from the animal (so to speak) than something chemically manufactured. Regardless of fat-content, at least it's natural. Now to get my hubby thinking that way. *grin*

Of course, a good way to cut down on REAL butter usage, while staying "all natural" is to combine it with some oil-spray like pam, or with olive oil. You cut the amount of butter used (esp. in sauteeing where you want the butter flavor, but not all the fat), while keeping it real.

Anonymous said...

World Of Warcraft gold for cheap
wow power leveling,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow power leveling,
wow power leveling,
world of warcraft power leveling,
world of warcraft power leveling
wow power leveling,
cheap wow gold,
cheap wow gold,
buy wow gold,
wow gold,
Cheap WoW Gold,
wow gold,
Cheap WoW Gold,
world of warcraft gold,
wow gold,
world of warcraft gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold
buy cheap World Of Warcraft gold t3n6s7si