Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wind chill and things

So, I called Jill the other night and she was not home. It was one of our bitter cold nights; being a smart aleck, I left a message saying I couldn’t believe she was out in this bitter, bitter cold night! When she called back she said that, indeed, Seattle was bitter, bitter cold! It was 35º; when she asked Eric what the wind chill was, he said, “What is wind chill?”

It got me thinking – perhaps some people in this world don’t KNOW what wind chill is! Wind chill is the amount of time it takes for your face to freeze right off your skin in bitter cold when it is added to strong winds. The configuration is hard to figure out. This site talks about how to figure it:
. But I just know that if it’s +1º and the wind is blowing about 10 MPH, then it’s at least –10º-wind chill. This is the remarkable formula that is used today! Take it with you to figure out just how COLD you are!

WC = 91.4 - (0.474677 - 0.020425 * V + 0.303107 * SQRT(V)) * (91.4 -T)
where:
WC = Wind Chill IndexV = wind speed (mph)T = temperature (° F)


Wind chill is what makes winter miserable. I can take cold weather, for the most part, but the wind is what sucks the life out of me.

And no matter WHAT the “experts” say, it’s not just animals and people that feel wind chill. Even a well-insulated house will feel the chill and the wind will find corners to sneak into. On days like those, with a –25º wind chill or colder, a person wants to crawl inside a Hanzle / Grettle stove to warm up. Not even a wood stove, going full blast will work because you want all sides of you to be warm, not just the side facing the stove!

Then you figure that bed is the warmest place to be, so you crawl into bed early in the evening (all day would be an option, but not agreed to by a spouse, by any means!). That means you need: warm flannel jammies (nightgowns don’t cut it in this weather!), cotton socks, flannel sheets, two wool blankets and a wool quilt. Heaviness and heat! Don’t forget your wheat bag, cooked nice and HOT in the microwave (one of the best things a microwave was invented for). On nights like this, I would KILL for a maid to come and run a hot warming pan all over inside the sheets (like in the old days) to start the bed warm. The wheat bag was invented to cook aches and pains out of shoulders and other achy places but works wonderfully to warm cold parts of the bed, especially the leg / foot region. You also need to hope and pray that when your spouse comes to bed he doesn’t let cold air into the sheets or that he doesn’t steal your wheat bag – let him get (and cook) his own!

On top of knowing how cold it really feels, there are the temperature conversions to consider when you are talking to anyone outside of the United States. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that the US is the only country that does not use the metric system for measuring all things. If you say 0º in Farinheight, then you ought to also say –20º in Centigrade so that the rest of the world understands.

Yesterday, Norm talked me into going to the store (yes, I was momentarily deluded by sunlight, but my mental powers were also down because of the cold). As we stopped at the bank, I sat huddled under blankets with the car running and blowing heat out as high as it could. The temperature was –9º (F) and the bank also showed –30º (C). Made it feel colder, for me, to see the Centigrade one!

The formula for THIS is:
degrees Celcius= 5/9 (degrees Farinheight - 32)
but I prefer the formula of F = 55+80-30 divided by the month of your birth times your age. That makes a pretty accurate temperature, I think!

When it comes to wind speed, that’s another matter, as well. I just heard from Happy Owl and she said her wind was 100km/hour!!! Now that’s nasty! So I looked it up and found that:
miles per hour = 1 km/h = 0.27
That would make it about 27 mph, which is what we had just the other day – nasty wind at anytime! She also said her sister in Ft.McMurray had –51º C that day, which in my calculations makes it about –41º F. BRRRRRRRRRR.

Doesn’t matter what the measurement, Farinheight or Centigrade (Celcius), cold is cold! I hope all this information doesn’t freeze in your cold little brains (like it has in mine). But perhaps you don’t HAVE little brains like mine or you are NOT in a freezing climate and you understand all of this.

Despite cold temperatures (but, WAIT!!! It’s now +7º and only –7º chill factor [F]!! Hope springs eternal!), it is a beautiful, sunny day. And spring is coming (someday). You have a beautiful day!

3 comments:

Kati said...

*shudder* I've come to the point where this winter I say it's "not too cold", "yep, rather cold today", or "freaking A, it's too damn cold today to be out of bed!" *grin*

Stay warm, Connie! And don't let Norm go stealin' your wheat-bag!

Jan said...

We had another cold, raw day today. I know what you mean about the wind chill creeping into the house no matter what. As for the husband letting chill under the covers, I can relate. Mine sometimes forgets and boy, does he get an earful!

Anonymous said...

I hope it warms up for all. We are suppose to get freezing rain tonight. I just keep thinking about "Spring".

How are your birds? I bet up can't keep their water from freezing?

Put on a movie and get cozy;)

How does your corn heater work?

Blessings from Ky

Renee