Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sad morning!

It is raining, again. It’s been raining since Saturday night, on and off. And been overcast and foggy. At least we don’t have strong winds. I have no clue as to how much rain we have – Norm put the rain gauge away at the first frost. But my brother-in-law said he had 2 ½ inches of rain by Tuesday afternoon!

I love rainy weather as long as it doesn’t go on for too long! But it is the perfect weather for a sad heart this morning.

I got an email from a very dear friend (my soon-to-be neighbor) about the severe injuries that her goat has gotten.

The goat, Molly Malone, is a Saanen – one of the best milkers and one of the mildest, friendliest breeds there are.

This fall, I was going to baby sit Molly and was so excited. I had started getting my barn ready, had everything (in my brain) ready for her. Then it didn’t work out, as my friend didn’t go on vacation. But she was going to come down to her farm for a week and I was going to get to play with Molly. Didn’t work this time, but I was looking forward to maybe next week!

Then the email!! My friend’s fiancé has a German Shepherd male that they are going to use for breeding (have the female as well). He has developed blood lust! He already killed Molly’s kid, gotten some of her guineas and now this!

Yesterday afternoon he got lose, again, and attacked Molly! The wounds are so severe that she is afraid that Molly will not recover!

I have a sore heart for my friend, for Molly and for me. This was to be a delightful time, playing with and milking a goat – I have not milked for 18 years and miss it. I was also hoping, in the back of my mind (well, in the front, but not telling anyone but my friend) that I could get a goat once she moved here so that she could baby-sit MY goat when I was gone on trips!

Poor Molly! Poor J! And poor Hans – he will have to be euthanized. Once a dog, especially a Shepherd, gets the blood lust, there is nothing to do to change that!

Your thoughts, prayers and good energy, please, for the healing of this sweet goat! She did nothing to deserve this pain and agony that she is going through!

On another note, my sister is coming home from the Black Hills today – she was there for a doctor’s appointment and stayed with our folks. She managed to get them to go look at an apartment and they signed a lease! So, at age 87 (too young for assisted living says my dad), they will be moving from their house in about 6 weeks! They have lived in this house for over 40 years, so there is a lot to be gone through!


It will be a beautiful rainy day today – you have a beautiful day!

4 comments:

Cris said...

Hi Connie, so sorry to hear about all that your friend is going through. It is a rainy day here too, after the Winter drought, we're heading to Summer... Take care.

Greg said...

In North East Ohio we are getting some rain finally. It seems that the amount of rain that we have received this year is a bit below normal.

Greg said...

In North East Ohio we are getting some rain finally. It seems that the amount of rain that we have received this year is a bit below normal.

Missy the Garden Freak said...

what a sad sad thing to happen to the poor baby.. i hate to hear of stories like this... my thoughts and best wishes are with that poor goat...