Sunday, July 08, 2007

Well, the 4th of July week is almost over

The celebrations around here started last Sunday and have continued on … at least the fireworks and sales.

I have found someone else that agrees with me about the 4th of July. Kati from Alaska has written about her feelings on what this country does on Independence Day. It makes me feel like I am not the only one.

I KNOW I’m not the only one and I know that sometimes I rant and rave too much, but I do get irritated at the way this country seems to be moving and I feel helpless to do anything to stop it. Except, perhaps, to rave and rant to everyone.

And for that, I apologize but maybe if someone else feels the same way, we could spread the feelings around and actually change some of these things!

So now the week is over. We can get on with our lives. Charles and the folks left on Friday – he took them home then headed home, himself, to Oklahoma. He should be home by tonight. And now is the time to recover, relax, re-group and enjoy the rest of the summer.

The chickens are almost 7 weeks old and will be butchered on Tuesday. I am ready for that. I love the chickens and they are so cute and cuddly when they are little, but now they are just eating and pooping machines. With the hot weather this past two weeks, I have had to check on them 3 and 4 times a day. They are going through their feed like crazy and need that topped off at least once a day. The waterers need to be refilled at least 3 times a day. I have a large box fan blowing in the barn and pray continually that I will not go out and find dead bodies. A co-worker of Norm’s found 40 dead chicks just a week ago. They were allowed outside but these 40 went back inside and scrunched up and suffocated each other. How tragic and what an awful thing to discover!

After they are gone, I’m going to try to put a fence up for the 6 Buffs to go outside, clean up the pen and get ready for another batch later this month. Friend Katie wants a bunch more as well as the rest of us, so another batch will come. I need to figure out what to do with the pullets then. They are not big enough to go with the hens – maybe a small cage-like thingie that they can hide in? Hard to say – I would rather wait until they are nearly 3 months old before introducing them. Maybe a board from the new chicks can separate them until they (babies) are strong enough and then the pullets can be with them for that length of time until the new batch is butchered. It’s something to experiment with and think about.

I got a new refrigerator, finally! I need two fridges because of the eggs and when we have fruit and veggies. I am not very organized and have way, way too much stuff in my main fridge but I can’t seem to get rid of any of it. This way I can make sure the eggs are in a safe, flat place of their own. I have moved the pickles and sauces to the new fridge; friend Katie is storing some meats in the freezer part so that we have our State Fair foods collected together.

Yes, friends and neighbors, it’s THAT TIME of the year again to start planning for the State Fair. (Sigh) It is also the time of the year that I start wondering if I really want to DO it again this year!

It was hot this past week; it was 102° heat index yesterday, so I checked on the chickens every two hours. It will cool off somewhat, I’m told, this week. Today will be a beautiful day; you have a beautiful day.

1 comment:

Cris said...

Nice Connie, everywhere Independence Day has become an ordinary holiday, here too...