Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Farewell to friends

This has been a week of sadness. Two days gone, only, in this week and two friends are gone as well.

Yesterday was Bentley’s last day. He was Candy’s Newfoundland and a gentler giant I have never seen. He was kind to smaller dogs and cats and loved all animals equally. His greatest fault was that love – he would find baby birds that had fallen from the nest and would love them to death.

Bentley was old for a “Newfie;” his heart was damaged and his hips were starting to give out. Candy and Wayne decided that it was time for him to go, as he was beginning to suffer. Wayne took him for one last walk in the grove he loved so much and laid him to rest in a soft grave.


My sweet Goldie was Candy’s Golden Retriever; she raised her from puppy-hood. Nearly two years ago Candy gave her to me, as Bentley, sweet as he was, thought Goldie was his toy. Candy and Wayne were afraid that Bentley would hurt her already sensitive hips and back with his play.



I got Goldie as a retirement gift; she was the big dog I have always wanted. Goldie had no faults and was the best dog I have ever had. She was as close to perfect as a dog can be. Candy and Wayne had trained her very well!

A few weeks ago Goldie developed a hot spot on her head. This grew to more infected hot spots on her head and one close to her eye. At the same time her foot became swollen and was very painful. I took her to the Vet, knowing that we could not afford a major dose of medication for her. The Vet gave us a break on the price of steroids and antibiotics but warned that if the problem came back that it was not just a case of allergies but the signs that her body was starting to break down. Despite the medication I was giving her, she began to show signs of that dreaded break down this last week.

Tonight was the night that we chose to let her go. Norm took some meat scraps for her to enjoy on her last walk and then he laid her down for her final sleep.



Both sweet dogs will be missed dreadfully. Nothing will fill the hole in our hearts for these gentle friends but we know they are waiting for us to join them when we pass over.

Rest in peace, dear friends.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the (almost) two years we've known each other I've had such a lot of pleasure seeing pictures of Goldie - her serenity and lovable soul came across to me all these miles across the ocean.
I'm so sad for all of you - what a loss.

maidmyown
xx

Moonbeam said...

A friend sent me this when my dog passed in February. I thought it said it all.

HER JOURNEY'S JUST BEGUN
by Ellen Brenneman

Don't think of her as gone away -
her journey's just begun,
life holds so many facets -
this earth is only one.

Just think of her as resting
from the sorrows and the tears
in a place of warmth and comfort
where there are no days and years.

Think how she must be wishing
that we could know today
how nothing but our sadness
can really pass away.

And think of her as living
In the hearts of those she touched
For nothing loved is ever lost -
And she was loved so much.

The Unusually Unusual Farmchick said...

Oh Connie, my heart pains for your loss. As you know, Dawg was our much loved 4 legged member of the family and his passing last April hit me so hard I still cry to this day.
My deepest condolences on such a loss.

Candy Duell said...

Oh Connie, I am so sorry.I hope you and Norm, Candy and Wayne are doing ok. I had to do the same thing last week, and still recovering.

Kati said...

prayers for your & candy's peace & comfort as you mourn the loss of your friends. They both look like such very sweet dogs, and though I know you'll miss them, I know that you'll wind up finding comfort in the love you had for them, and they for you. (((((HUGS)))))

Cris said...

Oh Connie, I am so sorry, they were beautiful dogs, my prayers are for you to find comfort, those were beautiful pictures and a nice tribute to them. xoxox

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I am so sorry for both of your losses.

People who have never owned (or been owned) by animals do not understand me when I say I love my pets as I do human members of my family.

I believe God truly created animals and humans to love one another...in the Garden...they lived together.

My prayers are with you.

Sonia said...

Oh dear Connie, I am so sorry!
My eyes are full of tears. They both looks so adorable companions.
I agree with Brenda, I also love Flora (my dog) as I love human members of my family. My sincere thoughts to you, Norm, Candy and Wayne.