Thursday, June 14, 2007

“What’s it like living in La-La land?”

That’s the question my friend Fritzie asked me today. We had been discussing my remembering a potluck picnic for the Sons of Norway next week. I asked her to remind me again closer to the day.

I KNOW when it is, now. But when Thursday comes around, next week, will I remember that it IS Thursday and picnic day? Doubt it! I told Fritzie that rarely do I know what day it is. I know Monday, because Norm doesn’t work on Monday – but there is many a time that I try to send him off to work on Monday! I know when it is Sunday, because Norm goes to church on Sunday – but again, there are many days I don’t make sure he’s up early enough because I have forgotten it’s Sunday.

I figured it was because I was retired and every day is like the next, or the last, to me. But Fritzie decided it was because of my flaky-ness and my being a natural blonde (yup, I have to admit it) under all this gray hair. So, instead of being a little forgetful and relaxed in my retired-ness, I am in “La-La land!” What a wonderful place to be!

On another note, I have AIR!!! Well, most of us do, thankfully, but I have COOL AIR in my Buick, finally. I only requested it in February, as we were planning our trip to Florida! It was fantastic to drive home from town in 86° temperatures and be almost cold!

I am listening to Beethoven’s Fifth right now. It is one of my favorites, if not THE favorite. Last weekend Ashley asked me what kind of music I liked best - classical, of course, with Celtic and New Age and some Oldies-but-Goodies. Ashley loves Celtic Woman; she watched my DVD while in Florida. She wanted to know what “classical” was, so I tried to explain. On the way home last Friday, I would tell her what was playing and why I liked it – we listened all the way home; neither she nor Jessica complained about the music! I told Ashley that the Fifth was my favorite and hummed the first few bars, which she recognized! So when we got home I played it on the computer. I wish I had taken a picture of a sweet almost-eleven-year-old sitting at the computer, listening with a grin the entire time! So, I will give her a copy of the Fifth as part of her birthday present (and don’t anyone tell her!).

We will be heading to the Cities again tomorrow for Father’s Day. Then the kids go back to Florida (sigh) and we head back here for another season of exciting day-to-day happenings. It looks like the next happening (except the picnic next week) will be my folks’ sixty-fifth anniversary. Brother Charles will pick them up at their home, drive their motor home for them and bring them out here for the celebration (then take them back home). This may very well be their last trip in their motor home as they are going to put it up for sale. Anyone want a wonderfully well kept, HUMUNGOUS but comfortable motor home? “Not I” said the pig!!! The gas mileage for that is horrendous! Norm complains if any of our vehicles get less than twenty mpg!


It was a hot but beautiful day today – you have a beautiful day!

4 comments:

Kati said...

Oh, I'm thrilled to hear that you've got your girls hooked on classical music. Seems very few kids these days recognise classical as even a form of music (and yet, they consider rap the epitome of artistry). My daughter is one that just doesn't "get it", but will listen to country music 24/7. Right now I've got Andrea Boccelli and Josh Groban in my cd-player, but I may have to take my beethoven's 5th cd with me for the drive to work today, now that you mention it. Also love my celtic woman cd. The voices are just incredible.

And speaking of incredible voices.... If you haven't seen it yet, check out the clip I've posted on my blog today of the lumpy little welsh guy who has the voice of an angel.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

You are a blond under your gray hair? Mine was pitch black, but now almost white, I found my first gray hair at the age of 16.

I have been able to appreciate classical music, I keep trying but usually am stuck in the oldies.

Leslie Shelor said...

Music just isn't music anymore; great that you're instilling some taste into the next generation! And wonderful not to be tied to the calendar!

Laurie said...

The weather is hot over here in La-La Land East, where I have lived for 46 years now. Can't blame it on age. Maybe on genetics!