Saturday, June 02, 2007

To Anonymous who signs ......

“xx
Mmo”

Could you please put a name to your signature so I know who is talking? I enjoy your comments but can’t answer them!

But to your last question, yes, Peanut and Scooter have met. At first it was hiss, hiss, growl, growl on Scooter’s part but Peanut wanted to play. Now Scooter is actually allowing Peanut to sniff her and to push her around a little bit. I would think that some day very soon Scooter would actually play with Peanut.

And Cris asked for the recipe for Auntie Pete’s buns

3 cups (heated to lukewarm)
3 cups water (use potato water when possible), heated same as milk
1 cup sugar
2 packages of yeast
1 ½ shortening, butter or lard (butter makes them taste better)
1 tablespoon salt
6 eggs
Enough flour to make soft dough (about four pounds or 12 scant cups)

Make sure all the ingredients are room temperature to start. Soak 1 teaspoon of sugar with the yeast in one cup of warmed water. Mix all the ingredients. Don’t let the yeast touch the fat before adding the flour. Knead the dough and let it rise. Punch it down once. The dough will be soft and sloppy, not as firm as bread dough. Put flour on your hands and shape the dough into buns. Let them rise the second time for about 1/2 hour on a greased pan or cookie sheet.

Bake at 450° for 12 – 20 minutes. They are done when golden brown and hollow sounding. You can brush them with melted butter for a softer crust when they come out of the oven.


We have tornado warnings around the area so are watching the skies. We have had over 1-½ inches of rain this week so everything has taken off and is growing like mad again. Norm is out mowing the 70-foot tall grass in the front yard and I am starting supper while listening to Prairie Home Companion. It was a beautiful day today. You have a beautiful day!

5 comments:

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Wow, those buns looked yummy, I copied down the recipe.

Morning Sunshine said...

hey! I thought about you on Memorial Day, knowing that you were probably boycotting the celebrations Monday in favor of your own on Wednesday.... and lo, you have a beautifully written post about your memories!

We just got 3 kittens this week (one a calico, which I have always wanted!), and a puppy. things have been interesting since Thursday......

I enjoyed your vacation posts, too, but for some reason could never leave a comment. I hope this posts.

happyowl said...

Connie, MMO, is Fran, Maidmyown from HSB.

I'm feeling out of sorts, the boy has gone to the library by himself to do some extra research for school. On top of the girls exciting news, my kids are growing up too fast!!

Brightest blessings

Love

Heb

Cris said...

Hum, that looks really a yummy recipe, that's a good idea to use the potato water, I will try and let you know! Thanks for sharing!

Cris said...

Connie! I just made a batch of these buns!!! The best ever I ever tasted, my kids can't stop eating them, I used butter and ended up adding one smashed potato (I cooked the potato just to have the water for the bread) and it tastes sooo good!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!