Friday, March 09, 2007

My daughter’s handiwork

I got a picture just the other day of a shawl that my daughter just finished knitting. This is with commercial yarn, not what I spun, but I think I’m going to have her do mine (with the yarn I’m slowly spinning) in the same general pattern.

This shawl is about 7 feet wide and 3 ½ feet wide – a big one!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If I might brag, my daughter does wonderful work!!!

Today we are going to New Ulm. It’s the annual indoor rendezvous / trade fair. It’s like a big sleep-over!! We are allowed to sleep in the building (not like in Watertown in January) so we won’t freeze our toes-ies off. Everyone takes bedding of some sort and sleep under their tables or in the walk-ways. Kind of cool, in a weird sort of way! It will be better for us this year, as the format of the weekend has changed. They did have a formal banquet and dance on Saturday night, so those in the basement would have to tear down their tables for the evening and set them up again in the morning. Now the banquet has been canceled, as well as the dance (no one danced, anyway, except the families / guests of the band, which had gradually morphed into young locals trying to make it big – and failing). So we can set up and actually sleep in the basement, rather than trying to find a quiet spot upstairs.

Upstairs are the serious traders and no demonstrations; downstairs are the demonstrators who hope to seriously sell! Norm does his spoons and sells quite a few of them. I spin and weave but normally don’t have much to sell. In the past few years, since my thumb operations, I have been doing less spinning and more visiting ... I used to sit and spin for eight hours with hardly a break, but now it’s only about an hour before I break, take a walk, visit friends, see what I can purchase, and then back to spinning.

I am taking the rest of the wool for my niece’s sweater, the lovely purple wool for my shawl and some grey that my SD friends are going to help me card on the drum carder.

I have had a drum carder for years, but have never figured out how to use it properly, so it usually sits in a corner. I am also taking my English combs in the hopes they can teach me how to do them, too. I am mostly a hands-on learner, rather than a reading learner. I need to be SHOWN.

So, we are heading out this afternoon and will be back Sunday ... it looks to be a beautiful weekend. You have a beautiful day!

7 comments:

Autumn said...

Love the shawl and the weekend sounds like lots of fun. I hope you take pictures to share
Enjoy!

happyowl said...

What a wonderful pattern and your daughter did a great job!

Your weekend sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Talk to you soon

Brightest blessings

Heb

Kati said...

Beautiful shawl!!!! And I agree that the plans for the weekend sound like a blast. Have fun!

Grandma Rosie said...

This is incredible. Such a beautiful piece. Wish I had one to wear in the parade with my period dress!!

Teresa said...

Absolutely gorgeous shawl! You are quite the talented family!

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie, I would LOVE to see the A - Z of your homestead!!

BTW, my Mum has a picture of her Gran (must be early 1900's in very North Scotland) with a shawl very much like that.

Love,

Fran

xx

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Thanks for writing this blog, loved reading it