Monday, February 12, 2007

I have about HAD it!

I am TIRED of being politically correct and kowtowing to the masses. I am TIRED of having to get rid of tradition just because it IS tradition! What is WRONG with the ‘good ol’ days?”

Today, for example ... do you what day it is??? Not “Presidents’ day!!” Lincoln’s birthday!! When is Washington’s birthday? February 22nd. ... how about Memorial Day (I’ve complained about this before!) ......... NOT the last Monday of May but May 30th ...

And don’t get me started on Daylight Saving (wasting) Time!! Sure, Benjamin Franklin thought of it but no one took him up on the idea until the MASS of people in the cities needed more light at night!! It was hard enough to live with having to change every six months, but now they are making it from March until November. Why can’t they just change it to TOTAL Daylight Savings Time all year around and stop messing with our eternal clocks??

Okay, rant of the day is over – forgive me – I had to deal with finances today and they are NOT my cup of tea ... why is it that the most numerically challenged person in the family has been tagged as responsible for finances? Brings out panic attacks and temper tantrums BIG TIME.

It’s +18ยบ right now and not much wind. But wind and snow are forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning. It would be nice to get some fresh snow, if it doesn’t get carried away. My sympathies to those of you who are suffering with the excessive amounts around the country.

But all-in-all, it WILL be a beautiful day – you have a beautiful day!

4 comments:

happyowl said...

Is there a special way to celebrate this day??? For example, I know that the post office is closed but do the school kids do anything?

I know how you feel about finances.. I hate them too and that is my job! I don't do taxes though( I could do mine if I needed too, 0 and 0 and oh another 0....lol).

Your weather is warming up nicely. Not much longer and we can start thinking of the gardens again... yeah!

Brightest blessings

Heb

Kati said...

LOL I looked at the date, and thought "well, it's my sister's birthday..." I didn't remember that Washington's birthday was yesterday as well. I knew Lincoln's birthday was on a different date than "President's Day" but I forgot about Washington's birthday. And I've NEVER known that Memorial day wasn't the last monday in May but May 30th. (Which, that should have been one that I knew, considering my other sister's b-day is May 31.)

As for daylight savings time.... I didn't realize until my mom moved to Hawaii & my sis moved to AZ that other states DIDN'T have daylight savings time. We've always had daylight savings time in Alaska. And it can be a great thing when we only get about 3 hours of sunlight, at Yule, anyway. (On the other hand, sleeping from Nov. through Feb would be an even greater thing.)

Sorry to hear you had to deal with the finances today. I hope everything came out well, and that it's all done so you can relax for a while.

Jan said...

Hi Connie, I am 63 , too and remember that today is Lincoln's birthday. We celebrated it when I was in school. My blog is jbeane6.wordpress.com with mostly stuff to connect with family.

Tracey said...

Here, here! I completely agree! I want daylight savings all year...and I'll be Washington and Lincoln don't like sharing the same day; I know my husband doesn't like sharing (or being stuck in the shadow) with my mother. I want to celebrate the holidays as they are...not all lumped together for the convenience of the masses.

But mostly I just want it to stay light at night...