Thursday, February 22, 2007

Birthdays

Today is my cousin Kathy’s birthday .... it is also George Washington’s birthday – or to be completely correct, the anniversary of his birth, as he has been dead for a few years!

My mother was so excited when Kathy was born, I understand (I wasn’t there at the time). She was trying to get Auntie Pete to name her “Martha Georgina” but Auntie Pete picked the boring (to Mom) name of Kathy. Her initials are KKK (I loved that as a child), and since her last name was Kandt, I used to chant “Kathy Kandt but *I* can!!” and drive her crazy. Do you suppose that’s why she’s so crazy now? (Sorry, Kathy, couldn’t resist!)

Kathy is two years older than I. When we were growing up, my dad was in the Air Force and we traveled often. Kathy lived in the home town and rarely traveled. When we would go “home” for holidays, it was her home that we would stay at.

Auntie Pete owned a hotel in the small home town they lived in and Uncle Goosey was a farmer. When we came, we would stay in empty rooms so it was often a different room or suite each time. But I would often sleep with Kathy in her bed – the family of five had their own rooms at the kitchen end of the hall, past the parlor with the big upright piano. Kathy and I would play games in and around the hotel, depending on our ages. Hide and seek was a fun one and I would often hide in the telephone booth in the front lobby. Wonder why Kathy always found me? Upstairs, downstairs (in my lady’s chamber), basement, cellar door, garage, anywhere we wanted, as long as we didn’t disturb the guests.

One thing about Auntie Pete’s hotel was that it had the biggest bathtub I have ever seen (well, until they invented whirlpool square ones that are bigger than a normal bathroom)! Having a bath there was like going swimming, to my little body. (I stayed there as an adult, once, when visiting for a relative’s birthday and the tub was STILL big!)

So, Happy Birthday, Kathy. Have a great day and know that I’m thinking about you!

On another note, in just a few days is the anniversary of Auntie Pete’s birth. It is on the 28th, which – on normal years – is just one day before Norm’s, on March 1st. We used to celebrate together if we were in the same area. So on that day, I will be thinking of her!!

It will be a beautiful day today – and I will be giving a demonstration and weaving class for home-schoolers in town. You have a beautiful day!

5 comments:

Tracey said...

KKK? Poor child!

Hope you have a great time weaving :)

Kati said...

Ooooh, can I join in your weaving class???? ;) Hope your cousin has a great day, full of family, friends, and laughter.

happyowl said...

Happy Birthday to cousin Kathy. My sister(from the high north)'s birthday is on Feb 28 too....... yeah, Norm is a pisces!

You didn't just have nice weather the other day, you had summmer!!! We got really cold again yesterday and the "sugar snow" was flying. It was really pretty in the morning.

Hope you have a great day

Brightest blessings

Heb

Kati said...

Hey Connie!!!! Haven't heard from ya in a few days. Hope you & Norm are doing ok with the storms & staying warm!!!! (Oh, and the chooks & dogs, too!)

Kati said...

Urgh!! Ok, so you emailed me back, but for whatever reason it went into my bulk folder, and it was only after I hit the delete button for the mass-clean-out that I realized YOURS wasn't actually something I wanted to delete, but by the time I realized that, it was gone (and I don't think yahoo has a way to retrieve tossed bulk messages). I'm sorry!!!! Whatever else was in there, glad to see that y'all still have power, anyway. Let me know!!!!!