Monday, January 29, 2007

Lots of pictures, as promised

Here you are, children .... mega pictures of the weekend. As I said in yesterday’s post, I cannot tell you where we were in fear of having to shoot you. But it was a good Trade Fair and the children enjoyed the day of demonstrations. The building was a large, long one with three main rooms and many side rooms that were classrooms. We had “Doc” – who does coffee, tea, breakfasts and lunches at a minimal fee. We had brought cooked turkey for sandwiches (along with bread and the fixings, of course), pre-cooked bacon and mini-hot dogs for breakfast meats, a package of rolls (I didn’t have energy enough to bake rolls) and coffee packets and tea bags for hot drinks. I also made some French bread and cream cheese with olives for a spread for snacks. So food was never an issue but we went to KFC for supper on Thursday night as a treat and had enough for lunch on Friday and even the leftovers today for lunch.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is our bed, with 3 wool blankets and Norm's mother's quilt - made with polyester pieces, a heavy wool bat and a heavy flannel back. It's so heavy it's hard to carry around, and gives a might weight and warmth to most cold nights. However, with the cold seeping, oozing and blowing and gusting through the holes in the canvas walls, even Grandma's heavy quilt wasn't totally helping. Again I say, thank you to those who allowed us to sleep inside the last night.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the opposite side of the camper - we had the curtains pulled over the bed in that side to help stop cold from seeping, oozing and blowing and gusting in. I put the computer on the table, a logical place, but the wireless wouldn't pick up unless it was on the fridge, next to the radio antenna.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Vern is a flint napper. He does very good work and it is fascinating to watch him. Norm picked up a couple of his arrow heads.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The chuck wagon drew large crowds. It was originally a base with wheels that was restored and the rest was built slowly by hand. A marvelous display and demonstration.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Cowboyology" is what these people call themselves. They have several children who are very talented in roping. They sing, play guitar and fiddle and demonstrate cowboy living.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Marie (to the left) and daughter Kelly (to the right) have a store in a small town in the great state of ????. Two of their guild are helping demonstrate. They spin, weave, knit, crotchet, you name it. They sell wool (homegrown), yarns (hand knit or machine knit with their own yarn), sock yarn (Joy uses it for socks) and have a guild and travel to many different shows to demonstrate and sell. Kelly loves to spin with a drop spindle; I love to watch her, as I CAN do it, but don't like doing it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One night we had a piper playing the bags, marching around the area. He was very pleasant to listen to.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I yielded to temptation and got some wool from Kelly. She mixed sheep, Angora goat (mohair), llama and silk. She washes the wool, dyes it, sends it off to carded and mixed. I had ordered some for Candy, but I'm not sure if the color is what she wants. However, I bought 1 pound, 13 oz (and there are 9 pounds more, if I want). I am going to spin and Joy is going to knit or crotchet me a shawl. Then I will spin more for her to use, to pay for her spinning. Then I think I'll have to get some purple material to make a new dress to wear the shawl with. After all, I'm old enough to wear purple, right?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our trusty security guard. I can't tell you his name or show you his face or I'd have to shoot you! He was very kind (although he really and truly DOES carry a gun at night). He was a policeman for many years before retiring and becoming a trader.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ole Oleson gave a great talk on immigration. He is a wonderful person and a great character. Because I was not in character as Caroline, we didn't bicker as much as normal.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now, gather around and someone tell me what this large ball is!! First prize for guessing is a free trip for your whole family to the wonderful state of ???? in a camper in the middle of winter. Come on, now!! Don't you want to experience REAL LIFE??? Leave your comments as to what it is and I'll post an answer in a few days.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The President of These United States visited and gave a talk on his life. It was very interesting and very moving. He gave his talk to a packed audience.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One important piece of advice he gave was 'NEVER GIVE UP." He mentioned that he ran in 12 elections and lost 9. He lost his mother, his sister, 2 sons and led the nation in the most heartbreaking, tragic war that has ever been fought in our country. And because of his perseverance and strength of character, he is remembered as one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) presidents in history.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We had a gypsy visit us on Sunday. I stopped to see her lovely rose quartz pendulum and had my palms read (both of them); she used the pendulum to answer a question that has been in my heart and mind for a long time. Her answer was very illuminating. I am thinking about the answer - if I follow through, you will know about it; if I don't, it won't matter. This gypsy was "playing" at fortune telling (she told A. Lincoln's fortune and then went to the talk to see if her reading was "true") but she actually has amazing talent. Her reading of my palms told her of my past which was amazingly on track. We will see if she is right about the future. She told me of character traits that I have that were right on the money!!

All in all, it was a good trip, a good weekend and fun was had by all. We are glad to be home in our own home, our own beds. Peanut is willing to let me be more than 1 foot away from her, now. She is back to napping in her favorite spot in the studio, where she can see me but not have to touch me. I am comfortable in sweat pants and shirt - not that the costume isn't comfortable, but I am a little bit warmer. Norm is outside cutting wood - he has promised for years to make another folding table for our camping and has decided that TODAY is the DAY to do so.

Our chickens did well while we were gone, thanks to the loving care of my sister and brother-in-law. They are staying inside in this cold weather, but are comfy and cozy in the barn and laying their wonderful eggs.

It looks to be a beautiful, if chilly day again. You have a beautiful day!


6 comments:

Joy Lang said...

You should knit a cozy for the camper. That would keep it warmer.....

happyowl said...

Thank you for the pictures. The kids look like their hanging on every word! Lucky kids being able to experience something like that.


It looks like you guys had so much fun but I'm glad that your "winter camping trip" is over.

Brightest blessings

Heb

Autumn said...

I loved the photos. I have never been to a trade show. You ask what the big ball of "stuff" was. I am guessing human hair..

Trina said...

wow..looks like fun...especially the spinning:> I love the wool...beautiful combination. Does Kelly have a page?

sounds like it was just a tad on the cold side... we go to some cold rendezvous but never quite that cold...

happyowl said...

my daughter thinks it's horsehair and my son a tumbleweed.

Kati said...

Looks like a nice time, excluding the chilly, breezy camper. I love the pictures. It'd be fabulous to get to some sort of fair like that, some day.

Ummmm, guessing about the big ol' ball..... A ball of horsehair??? That's my best guess, really can't think of anything else it might be.

And what lovely yarn!!!!! What a beautiful color. And I'm thinking that tone of purple would look incredible on you!