Thursday, November 23, 2006

What is Thanksgiving?

Today as we were getting ready for our Thanksgiving dinner, I got to thinking (yes, I KNOW I don’t do that much!) ….

And after I talked to Heather the other day, I realized how few people in the world actually knew what Thanksgiving really is for most Americans.

So, this is for everyone not American (US citizens … Canadians are technically Americans, too!) …….

Thanksgiving, to me, is family, first and foremost. Families travel from far and wide to get together for this one important day. Joy, Ken and girls came from Florida.

It is missing family who are not here – Jill and Eric are in Seattle and could not come home at this time.

It is turkey and dressing (stuffing), potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes and cranberries, some sweet jello salad, rolls and vegetable tray. It is scalloped corn and olives.

It is excited girls helping get the table ready for three or four or five times the amount of people who normally eat around it.

It is getting up at 6:00 in the morning to put the turkey in the oven.

It is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade. It is football for some, visiting for others. It is children excitedly playing together. It is card games.

It is pumpkin pie in the evening, being too stuffed to think about ‘supper’ after a large, large meal in the late afternoon.

It is people complaining about being too full but getting more to eat.

Thanksgiving is a time to step out of the normal realm of life and stopping to give thanks for your life, your family, your gifts from the Almighty.

For those of you who don’t know the history, the Pilgrims came from Europe in the 1600s and started a colony on the east coast. They set aside a day of thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest and for the survival of their people. There had been sickness and starvation their first winter here that took the lives of nearly half of the colony.

During the Civil War, in the 1860s, Lincoln proclaimed the fourth Thursday of November as a national holiday.

One year ago, Norm and I were in the hospital waiting for a decision on surgery or not for his broken neck. So this is a time for us to stop and be thankful for Norm’s life as well as the change in life that his broken neck has given us. To be thankful for the skill of the doctors and nurses who helped him in his healing and helped me in my distress.

This year, we are with Joy and her family. Her father-in-law and one sister-in-law and some of her children are also here. Yvonne has several boys and twin girls, just five years old. Some of her family stayed home and her husband is working this holiday.

So this time has been a time of catch-up with her family and mine and a time of excitement since the girls have been in Florida and haven’t seen their cousins for a long time.

I am here on Joy’s computer and have no way of downloading pictures, so I will do that when I get home. I will have pictures of this whole week of Thanksgiving for us.


On this Thanksgiving Day, I would like to give thanks for all my internet friends who have become so dear. I hope that some day we will be able to meet face-to-face. Until then, you have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Kati said...

For us it was a chance to do a rather thorough house cleaning. It was turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, rolls, a cheese board, a crab ball with crackers and Pumpkin Gooey Butter cake. It was getting up at 7 am to have the 23 pounder in the oven by 7:30, ready to eat at 1:30. It was a chance for my 4 year old niece & my 4-1/2 year old nephew (different sides of the family) to meet for the first time. It was the last Thanksgiving I'll likely ever have with family I grew up with. It may well be the last Thanksgiving at my house for a very long time.

Glad you & Norm have more Thanksgivings to enjoy together, and with extended family & friends. May you have many, many more to come.