Friday, November 03, 2006

My sweet hens!

I got three green eggs yesterday! It is so exciting to get those green babies! I love my brown eggs, too, but the green ones are so fun!

If you will notice in the picture – I have three of each – brown and green. The green ones are different in color as well as size. The newest green one was humungous, like the big brown one.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I normally get a few big eggs and then the rest are the small pullet eggs. However, the big green one was the FIRST one for the Araucana hen, so it’s surprising that it is so BIG!

The green ones are different, not only in size, but in color. There is one that is kind of khaki-green, one that is blue-green and one that is green-green. The brown ones, too, are different colors, ranging from a pinkish-brown to almost a tan.

Someday, I hope to get those Marans from France that have chocolate colored eggs.

In case you haven’t guessed, I love colored eggs. I love eggs. I love my chickens!

On another note, Kaitlin from California asked another question, but left no email to directly answer her … so here is the answer:

No, corn stoves do not pop popcorn! The kernels come directly from the field after being shelled off the cob. Pop corn is a different ‘breed’ of corn – this is field corn that is used mostly for cattle feed. The auger puts it into the fire and it burns but doesn’t pop. The best way to see this is to buy some sweet corn on the cob, dry it, shell it and put it in a pot (outside) and set it on fire. Corn is difficult to start, so you need some paper and probably some kind of fire-starter. It will burn, and will burn HOT but will not pop. Then take some popcorn and try the same thing … it will pop – but a lot of it will burn, as well. The popping needs to be done at a lower heat the actual fire.

Does that answer your question?

Norm is off to collect some more corn from the road, but will be more careful this time to try to collect with less rocks. I spent a lot of yesterday afternoon culling rocks from corn. Norm did so last night (my hands hurt too much to continue) and also some this morning. But we might have to buy some corn from Barry to assist until we have caught up – it takes too long to cull rocks to keep up with the fire if we are totally out of clean corn.

It’s going to be a beautiful day! We will be going to the concert tonight for a Norwegian group called the Habbestad Ensemble. It sounds like it will be a fun time! You have a beautiful day!

4 comments:

Steph said...

congratulations!! I'm still waiting on my four girls to start laying! They hatched in mid-late May and my Buff Orps which came that same day are already laying.

Those Marans lay gorgeous eggs.

Kati said...

LOL Looking at those huge eggs, I have to wonder if laying an egg that big hurts the chicken like having a 10 lb baby hurts the mama (as compared to say, a 7 lb baby). ;) Poor chickies!!!!!! LOL

Grandma Rosie said...

Your eggs are lovely Connie. We are getting started on our coop building plans. Hope to have one up before the spring season. I am still trying to decide just what type bird I want. Maybe a combination , layer and meat bird.

Leslie Shelor said...

Oh, I want chickens SO much! Love seeing the eggs; there's just something special about an egg!