Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Another trip completed!

Candy and I went to the Cities on Sunday for fun and to collect friend David for a week or so.

We left early Sunday morning with the girls … Candy brought Cricket’s bed to sleep in while in the car and Norm said “Peanut doesn’t have a bed!” which was the clue that I would be allowed to get Peanut a bed. Peanut has been sleeping on cushions but evidentially Norm feels that a bed is necessary!

We stopped in Mankato to get the mat and frame for my lovely 1870s print and a frame for a picture of Norm. Then found a cat bed for Peanut. The dog beds were pretty expensive and there was no happy medium between the tiny, too small, bed and the medium, too big, bed. But Cricket sleeps in a cat bed and we found one the same size. It is just perfect for her and she loves it. I put it in the car and she hopped in and curled up. I also got her a sweater – her lovely fur collar coat I got is too big and I have to do some major work to make it fit … little legs trip up if the coat / shirt / sweater has sleeves too long.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My 1870s spinner in her mat and frame

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was a picture taken of Norm by a newspaper photographer;
it was in the Minneapolis Tribune a few years ago

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Peanut is eating breakfast in her new bed

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Peanut's new sweater
Many people wonder why you put sweaters or jackets on dogs. Well, with Cricket, it’s extremely necessary, as she has such thin skin and very little belly hair. She gets cold when it’s only 30º out – or even warmer if it’s wet out. If she is to go out to do her business, she needs something to keep her warm. Peanut has thicker skin and thicker, courser hair, but she gets cold, too, and she is so low to the ground she needs something to cover her tummy to keep that dry and warm.

We stopped at a plant store and Candy got some new African Violets and I got a small cyclamen.

A fun day – then we got KFC and sat watching a movie (or two) at Joy’s house. Joy and family are still in Florida, so it was a very quiet, too quiet, house.

Monday we got up at the crack of dawn, had breakfast at I-Hop, and headed through rush hour traffic to get David, who lives in the south east section of Minneapolis itself.

I have been saying that David lives in St. Paul, as he is on the east side of the Mississippi. That is the “rule” – the river divides the two cities. However, David’s area is the only area that belongs to Minneapolis on the east side of the river.

That area is the original St. Anthony – one of the earliest cities in the state.

Then we headed up to our friend Detta in Maple Plain who has a store in her house. I tried out a few spinning wheels, as did Candy. David just looked around and asked questions and drooled.

I ended up buying a new spinning wheel. David has found a friend who will buy one of my student wheels; I have wanted a “period correct” wheel for ever-so-long, and this Kromski Mazurka is perfect. Small, able to travel well, it is a Polish wheel. But a Swedish woman could very well have a Polish wheel, as there has been Polish / Swedish relations for hundreds of years. I chose a new one that has not been finished yet, as it was cheaper than the lovely stained one also available.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Needs to be taken apart, stained and sanded - but it is period correct - no plastic pieces
We stopped, also, at St. Peter. This has a woolen mill that has been in action since the late 1800s. They don’t MAKE yarn, they card wool into quilt bats. I have two lovely wool mattress pads that they made for me (big bucks, but worth it). They also sell yarn and quilt material and tools of all kinds for fiber stuff. Candy talked to the clerks and found there is a teacher of rug hooking from up north who is giving lessons. She is hoping to find a guild in the reasonably close area to join.

Then home before dark. Norm helped unload, then he and David went back to Norm’s chosen chore for the day – repairing and roofing the chicken house. The north side is pretty well dry but the south side leaks like there is no roof!

An easy supper – tator tots and canned baked beans with hot dogs cut up in them. And leftover baked custard for dessert. Early bed for me while the boys watched “My Name is Nobody” and picked rocks out of corn.

A great trip, a fun trip and productive, as well. We both got things that are not available in this area or are too expensive.

It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is getting so close!! The weather changes from cold, wintery, with snow to mild (37º right now), sunny and almost hot. Strange weather!!! Global Warming?? According to “experts,” there IS no such thing … what do you think?

Have a beautiful day!

6 comments:

Kati said...

Some days, I'm convinced of global warming, not so much the last few days here. Last night's temp was predicted to get down to -40 deg. F. It really only got to about -30. It is currently about -19 deg. F. here. YUCKY!!!! And DH forgot his lunch so I've got to take it to him before I head to work myself. *sigh*

Have fun with finishing that new wheel. It's beautiful. And that picture of Norm is fantastic!!!! What incredible character his face has!!!

Autumn said...

My pug has sweaters. Only it hasn't got cold enough here for her to need them yet. I love the photos you posted. It sounds like your having a lovely week.

happyowl said...

The new wheel is beautiful! I can't wait to see it after it is stained.

Peanut is so cute(and lucky). I use to try and put sweaters on my dog(she's a beagle crossed with a blue tick hound) but she would have nothing to do with it. LOL

Have a fun visit with David and I will try and get in "touch" with you next week.

Brightest blessings

Heather

happyowl said...

The new wheel is beautiful! I can't wait to see it after it is stained.

Peanut is so cute(and lucky). I use to try and put sweaters on my dog(she's a beagle crossed with a blue tick hound) but she would have nothing to do with it. LOL

Have a fun visit with David and I will try and get in "touch" with you next week.

Brightest blessings

Heather

happyowl said...

The new wheel is beautiful! I can't wait to see it after it is stained.

Peanut is so cute(and lucky). I use to try and put sweaters on my dog(she's a beagle crossed with a blue tick hound) but she would have nothing to do with it. LOL

Have a fun visit with David and I will try and get in "touch" with you next week.

Brightest blessings

Heather

happyowl said...

The new wheel is beautiful! I can't wait to see it after it is stained.

Peanut is so cute(and lucky). I use to try and put sweaters on my dog(she's a beagle crossed with a blue tick hound) but she would have nothing to do with it. LOL

Have a fun visit with David and I will try and get in "touch" with you next week.

Brightest blessings

Heather