Monday, October 09, 2006

We’re back!

We had a wonderful 5 days in Albert Lea .. the weather was wonderful and cooperated with us marvelously.

Because we experienced so much, I’m going to post several posts and have lots of pictures. I only wish I could send the videos I took … short but interesting.

And, no, Carla, no snow. It was almost HOT on Saturday … but mild and only chilly. Rain for the last hour that we were tearing down, so we have wet canvas that we needed to hang today.

We got to Albert Lea on Wednesday afternoon for the Big Island Rendezvous / Festival. The Rendezvous has been going on for 20 years – but just recently it has changed to a History Festival and goes from the 1500s to 1900.

As we got there, we went to the registration trailer and signed in, got our medallion for the tent and location, then headed over to set up.

It normally takes us about 2 hours to set up, but having the stove for the first time really slowed us down for some reason … it took us nearly 4 hours!




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Setting up the stove pipe
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The stove kept us warm in the evenings and mornings
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The candelabra gave us light

We got the tent set up and then Norm went to park the truck and pick up some chicken dinners from the Hi-Vee deli for supper. As I was waiting, Peanut and I sat in my rocking chair, relaxing. I was surprised by voices coming out of the dark – it was Patience and Harley, coming to visit. Norm got back and we ate supper while visiting with them (they had already eaten). It was a nearly full moon that night and just cool, not cold. A great way to start the week!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The view outside my door

Big Island had about 200 tents from Indians (well, whites portraying Indians … I never saw a true Native American dressed up) to Clan Tartan to Civil War as the newest demonstration. Some of the tents (lodges) were housed by people who just came to camp, others were demonstrators, others were vendors. Lots of people, lot of color and excitement.

Thursday morning started bright and early with school kids coming in at 8:30. Norm was sent off to another corner of the site to do his demonstrations, so he took a fly and set up down there. I got the tent so I was able to check on Peanut, in her crate (and, to be honest, visit the commode once in a while).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Norm heading out for his station

There were a total of about 6,000 school kids that came for the two days of demonstration. They came from area schools and spent a whole day with us. I did my history of fiber bit – clothing from the beginning of the world to now. Norm does his spoon carving and showed the kids how to start from a blank piece of wood and finish up with a spoon.

The school kids were very good and pretty interested for the most part. After the school tours were over, we were free to wander and visit with friends and meet new ones.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kids at one station

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Potter Bill giving his demonstration
The weather, as I said, was really great. Chilly at night – we had frost one night, but we had the stove to keep the tent (excuse me, we were at a Rendezvous, so it is correct to call it a “Lodge”) warm. I also had my furry foot warmer to keep ME warm. Peanut loves being under the covers and hardly stirs the whole night.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Peanut loves the bed so much, she even has breakfast in bed!

It sounds like it is going to rain tomorrow, but still will be a beautiful day. You have a beautiful day.

5 comments:

Kati said...

YEAH!!! Welcome home!!!! That's too cute, Peanut eatting her breakfast off the pillow. Glad y'all had such a nice weekend to do these demonstrations. It's fantastic to see school kids showing some interest in something beyond x-box games & the Pussy-Cat Dolls ("music group"). ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

happyowl said...

Connie, it looked like so much fun!( well worth all the packing for). I can't wait to see more pictures.

Brightest blessings

Heather