Sunday, September 17, 2006

Things

It’s been a little hectic around here, this week. Trying to catch up with household stuff, unpacking and washing camping things, among other things.

This Wednesday, we took 47 young cockerels to the butcher, where they charged only $1.50 per bird for butchering!! Can’t do that ourselves for that price!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chickens ready to go to the butcher

Collected about 128 pounds of chicken yesterday and divided them into 4 groups for collection from the families in our co-op. The family that does the butchering does ALL the work, packaging and freezing, as well. We had a chicken last night (it’s easier to eat the first one when you haven’t done the actual work), and it was very good.

After all the money stuff was figured out, we found that it cost $1.80 per pound for the chickens, and cost 54¢ more per bird than the Cornish Cross ones, even though we kept them a month longer! And that includes the butchering price!

The roof has been re-done … we had about 12 hours of rain and no leakage in the mud room. My brother says I can’t call it the “mud” room any more … just the entry way!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I am making a ‘shopping’ list for Monday; this list is of places to visit. Sister Candy and I are going to the Cities for two days. I have a doctor’s appointment (annual physical – yuck) and so we are going to make that event a play time. We are taking her dog, Cricket, and Peanut along, as we are going to a pet store to get sweaters –Cricket has out grown hers and Peanut has none. We will visit quilt shops, yarn shops, a spinning / weaving shop, orchid greenhouse, pet shop and lots of places to eat (yummmm). We will leave Sunday night, stay at Joy’s house (she has one in the Cities, as well as the one Florida) and come home on Tuesday afternoon sometime. We will meet daughter Jill and son-in-law Eric for dinner Sunday night – the rest of the time (minus the doctor’s appointment) will be just fun and play-it-by-ear as to where we go next!

We discovered, in the rainstorm last night, that Peanut is afraid of thunder … she just shakes and quivers when it booms! There is a stuffed rocker in the family room – she jumped up and buried herself under a pillow that was in the chair. Too funny! But she slept with me last night because she was constantly asking to come up and be comforted from the big booms she was hearing.

This morning when I woke up, I found my lovely dead tree was down! This is the tree that I have my honeysuckle starting to grow on .. it made such a neat contrast, as it was in the middle of the kitchen window when you looked out. Norm is probably going to get a new tree – Red Maple or Red Bud – and then make a separate trellis for the honeysuckle that WAS growing on my dead tree.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tree last winter
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tree now!


I finally found the dish towel I was working on at the State Fair .. my first redwork! So here it is, in all it’s glory! (Morning Glories!!! Hehehehe)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It’s windy and overcast, but it looks to be a beautiful day. The weather is changing and going to be down-right chilly for the next week. You have a beautiful day!

5 comments:

Candy Duell said...

Your redwork looks wonderful. I love the morning glories!

Have a great time with your sister on your 2 day shopping spree. I hope you find lots of goodies.

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

happyowl said...

Have fun on your shopping trip and I love the redwork.

Brightest blessings

Heather

The Unusually Unsual Farmchick said...

What a fun road trip to the "city". Enjoy yourself and indulge in the yummy places to eat.
~Tammie
p.s nice redwork!