Monday, August 07, 2006

I’m back and grateful for it!

This weekend at Historic Murphy’s Landing was quite an experience this time. We got to the Landing before the office closed and talked to the boss for awhile. Then went to the Red Barn area, across from our old house, and set up the tent.

There was a wedding on site, down at the West End, and the security gal stopped by to say hi. She unlocked the Ryan (our old house) so we could go in to get hot water for washing up before bedtime. We toured the house to see what they had done to it after we moved out. They have painted the walls and are using it for the interpreters’ house. They have my studio and studio closet set up for the costumes. They have our bedroom also set up for costume storage. The sewing / guest / granddaughter room is now the sewing room with all the material on shelves and the sewing machines set up.

It’s good to see the house being used. I was afraid it would sit empty. And I was not even sad about seeing my old home – just had a strange feeling. But glad enough to have a lovely home so I was not sad about the old one.


We “slept” that night – we had forgotten how noisy the Landing is! It is right next to a major highway that has cars all night and noisy trucks. And it has trains going by all day and all night – noisy trains with noisy horns! At least our new beds are comfy!

The next morning we got the outside set up for business – our friend / former boss, Deanna, stopped by to talk before getting houses open for the morning. The other woodworkers came to set up and then there was the morning meeting before starting at 10:00. It was great to see all our friends and get caught up.

I sat under the tent, spinning while Norm worked on spoons. About noon, I was stung by a sweat bee (some people call them sweet bees) … the little buggers that have a more painful sting than a bumble bee. All of a sudden, the soles of my feet started itching .. my palms started itching .. I felt funny in my tummy. Norm got some stuff from the office for bee stings but that wasn’t my problem anymore. I told Norm I had to go the hospital, so he ran to get the van, shouted at the store-keeper, Barry, to open the locked gate, drove up to the tent to get me and raced out of the Landing, beeping at people to get out of the street (we do NOT normally have vehicles on site, so no one watches the streets for cars). I told him to go through red lights, as my tongue was swelling and my throat was beginning to close. He drove on the side of the street, going through right turn lanes, honking his horn at every intersection, and got me to the emergency room in time. I was having a hard time breathing. My eyes were swelling, I had hives on my arms. We got to the emergency room, Norm shouted to the receptionist and a nurse came running. They got me into a chair and rolled me to a room and got me undressed (a funny, teaching moment, as a nurse had to help me take my dress, petticoat and chemise off, but I kept my drawers on) and on the bed.

I got oxygen, a shot in the arm and an IV in my hand. The doctor said I would be okay, in a little while, and to try to relax. I knew then, I hoped then, that I WOULD be all right, that I would live to see my daughters and granddaughters again. I am not embarrassed to say I was really, really frightened for the first time in my life. (I was not afraid for Norm, as I was driving HIM to the hospital when he broke his neck, because I thought it was whiplash or a sprain until the doctor said otherwise.)

After a couple of hours laying all tied up to monitors and things, holding Norm’s hand, the doctor said my rash was gone, my eyes were less puffy and I was going to be fine (this time). I was given prescriptions for an Epipen that I need to carry with me at all times while outside. Sister Candy said it would go with me to the barn, even. And she also said (sigh) that I could no longer go barefoot outside! A change of life styles for me!

The rest of the weekend, I will write tomorrow, with pictures of friends and the story of Mrs. Peterson getting drunk on “root” beer at the boardinghouse / saloon.

It is a beautiful day today, a beautiful day to be alive! You have a beautiful day!

9 comments:

Candy Duell said...

What a scary thing to happen to anyone. I am so glad you made it to the hospital in time, and you are recovering. Take it easy for a few days, and wear shoes!!!

Jill said...

I'm so glad you are ok! How scary! My sister has an allergy to bees but does not have that severe of a reaction. Stay away from those bees!

Anonymous said...

Connie, I am so glad that you are okay and I am so sorry that you now have to wear shoes. I hope that you take it easy for the next couple of days and listen to sister Candy that you will take the epipen to the barn.

Brightest blessings

Heather

The Unusually Unsual Farmchick said...

Oh Connie, I am so glad you are o.k. Have you never been stung before? Was this something that you were never allergic to? Maybe Norm can plant you a grass garden kept short so you can still feel the pleasure of Natures carpeting. LOL. I cant wait to hear about the lady getting "tipsy" from the root ber...

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for Norm's fast driving!!!!

I'm so glad you're OK.

xxx

Anonymous said...

( I guess I will have to move over here and blog so I don't have to worry about leaving my name...

above comment from Fran in Scotland.)

xxx

Kati said...

Oh, Connie, what a scary event!!!! I'm so sorry you had such a nasty, nasty time of it. Praying the rest of the weekend went CONSIDERABLY better, and that you never have occasion to use that Epipen you've been prescribed.

Glad your home and feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Grandma Rosie said...

So sorry to hear of this Connie. Please take the DR's advice very seriously. You were very fortunate this time. Thank goodness for Norm! keep your EpiPen close by always. It could save your life. HUGS